Please help a first time flyer!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sanjeev George, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I am flying for the first time on Srilankan airlines from Bangalore to Sharjah and back in November 2012. The aircraft is A320, A321and A340-300 at differnt points of time (Plane will make a connection at Colombo).

How do I choose the best economy class seat on these airplanes? Which is the ideal seat?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat Guru at http://www.seatguru.com/ may be useful, except that it has no entry for Srilankan Airlines so that you might not get the exact configuration of the planes you'll be on, since different carriers may specify different configurations for the same type of plane. If you have the seat map for your planes, you could look to see if another airline has a matching configuration or a close approximation...

I was mistaken: There is an entry for Srilankan Airlines from the drop-down menu. Just enter your flight # and give it shot!

Welcome!

sobore, macbookguy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. I too would recommend Seat Guru. You may also want to check with the airline as some airlines reserve their best economy seats for elite members.

macbookguy likes this.
  4. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your first flights!! You're going to experience lots of sensations your body won't fully understand the first time you fly (wait until you feel an aircraft slow down in the air the first time -- that's a fun one!). If you're tall, I hands down recommend an aisle seat or if you can get it, an emergency exit row. If you think you're going to be a nervous flyer or want a view, the window helps. Your flights on the 320 and 321 will probably be a little more turbulent than on the 340. I will second SeatGuru like everyone has said and try to avoid middle seats at all cost.

sobore, MX and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the advice.
    Unfortunately seatguru.com does not have seat maps for Srilankan airlines or Mihin lanka airlines

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Mihin lanka, but it does have Srilankan airlines...from the drop-down menu on the main page...

8. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    These refer to most first row seats in economy cabins and most seats in many business and first-class cabins with no space in front of the passengers to store bags securely during take off or landing. Economy seats other than those in first row have space underneath the seats in front of them where bags can be securely stored. Some business and first-class seats lack such a recesses underneath the seats in front so bags in those cabins must also be placed in the overhead bins during take off and landing.

10. Sanjeev George

Sanjeev George Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help.
    Please tell me a little about online check in. What does it matter if I check in online, and what if I check in when I go to the airport?

11. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those seats without floor space for storage often have more leg room, but if you want easy access to your bags, they're less attractive.

I usually avoid such seats because I want to get at my bag, but I might change my mind on a long haul flight (where we're in the air for many hours and the takeoff/landing portions are a smaller proportion of the total flying time).

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It saves you time, especially if you are in economy cabin that is full (long line at check in counter or kiosks) and have no status so cannot use one of the faster elite check in lines...