Please check my AAdvantage math for Japan

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ryankopf, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ryankopf

ryankopf New Member

Status Points:
    According to my math, if you use AAdvantage points to fly to Japan 3 times, you get enough points to fly back once more.

But it's even less if you have a Citi card. Apparently just once. Please help check my math?

* Get Citi AAdvantage, get 30,000 bonus points
    * Ask for a secret "platinum challenge" for $250 (google: "AAdvantage challenge")
    * Fly to Japan once, for $1400
    **** You have to find the right flight code, this part is the hardest, but I figured it out online
    **** Get 12,500 miles
    **** Get platinum status after you return
    **** Get 2800 miles because 2x miles per dollar if you use your Citi card
    **** Spend $5000 on your citi card, get last 5000 miles (you have to spend $1000 already to get the 30k)
    === Fly to Japan again for free using 25K + 25K points.

* Fly to Japan again, for $1100, get 25,000 miles (platinum bonus is 100%)
    * Fly to Japan again, for $1100, get 25,000 miles (platinum bonus is 100%)
    === You have the 50,000 points to fly to Japan a 3rd time!

Is my math right?
    > Is my mileage between Tokyo (NRT) and Chicago (ORD) right?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA lists ORD/NRT as 6257 miles one way. If you fly ORD/DFW/NRT its 7211 or ORD/JFK/NRT its 7463 miles OW

You will also get the Plat bonus on the flight you qualify as Plat.

3. ryankopf

ryankopf New Member

Status Points:
    Very helpful, and getting the Platinum bonus on the first fly would be awesome - meaning it's even easier.

I might still fly directly ORD->NRT because the extra miles, 1206 miles * 2 round trip * 2 platinum = 4824 miles, worth 2.2c/ea ($106), might not be worth the extra air time even if I were to pay myself just $10/hour.... though if I wanted to try to get to a million faster, then maybe, so thank you for the suggestion. :)

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good tool for estimating miles between two airports is:

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

According to it, round trip non-stop between ORD and NRT is 12,530 miles, but the actual miles credited will depend on the airline.

According to the AA site, they show 6274 miles each way (e.g., on AA 154), for a total of 12,548. Not sure where newbluesky got 6257.

Alternatively, for about the same price, you can fly ORD-DFW-NRT and earn 7,229 actual flight miles, or ORD-LAX-NRT for 7,196.

ryankopf likes this.
  5. ryankopf

ryankopf New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link! I just googled "ORD to NRT distance" for my first estimate, which was really close to AA's exact numbers.

For the platinum challenge, I may have to keep it simple. It looked like every Discount, but not Deep Discount, class added $200 to the ticket per segment, so non-stop may be the better option.... actually, writing this out, I suppose I could do ORD to LAX on regular deep discount, and LAX to NRT on... no, that wouldn't work, because LAX is closer than ORD to NRT, and I want my discount but not deep segments to be as long as possible.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify you will get the Plat bonus only on the leg you reach the 10k points (and obviously those subsequent) in order to satisfy the challenge ie only your return NRT/ORD.

Note FYI the milage I listed above came from the ITA website

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    your math isn't good cause platinum via challenge requires to hit 10k points ....since for $1400 i assume you're in N bucket you'll only have around 7400 points r/t