Please be gentle. I haven't flown United in about 20 years and now have a flight coming up.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mapsmith, Apr 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Title pretty well says it.

I usually fly AA or if necessary Delta or Southwest out of Tucson because they fly where I need to go. United is usually going to LAX or DEN. And I have not needed to go there.

But I have a flight coming up to Florida, and because I am arriving at the In-Laws house that night, I need to get in before about 6:30PM. (They are in their 80s and go to bed early. Not too mobile to answer a door later)

Anyway, I found ONE Flight that will get me into the airport at about 6PM. But it is on United. (Cost is not a problem, time is)

What can I expect of United after reading various complaints on various boards.

Oh yeah. Aircraft are CRJ700 and ERJ 145.

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't specify the exact destination, but it's almost cross-country going east. So there may also be larger aircraft flying overnight, and arriving in the morning. That's just in case you overlooked that option.

Flyer1976, Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll bet decent odds the OP is flying TUS-IAH-PBI.

What you can expect is that the flights will likely be on time or close to it and that you'll get to your destination. Despite all the complaints you read in various places the majority get there.

Neither plane is especially comfortable inside for economy passengers but that's more to do with the planes than the company flying them. I prefer the "A" seat on the E45 so I get aisle and window. No meals on board so bring your own or buy something in the airport.

4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should check flightaware for your routes' performance stats.

Mapsmith, Newscience and MX like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. UA annoys many of us, but it is very much a real airline, and it will get the job done.

The CRJ700 will have a number of extra-legroom seats labeled "economy plus". UA will offer those to you for an upcharge, or you could decline to pre-select seats and gamble that you'll get one for free at check-in or at the gate.

Expect to gate-check your carry-on on the E145 (for planeside delivery). The CRJ700 has bigger bins than most RJs and should accommodate a regulation roller bag.

Like most carriers, UA will tend to prefer to keep you on its own planes during irrops (e.g. cancellations). Getting rerouted onto another carrier may be easier if you know what you want and ask for specific alternate flights.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Mapsmith and 8MiHi like this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when? I'd plan to gate check on both of those segments for anything larger than a backpack. And plan for the time that it takes to get the bag back at the gate on arrival.

7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy flying these aircraft - but only on short flights and only with one or two small, soft bags. Any time much over an hour starts to get old. The A side on the 45 is the only way to fly as WA suggests. The 45s I have been on recently have not been updated in any discernible way.

Mapsmith and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    CR7 overheads *can* accommodate a strictly compliant bag. My 21x14x8 *external* dimension bag fits fine, especially with the CR7s with the newer interior. The bin measurements are 9.5 in, so prsumably a true 9 in bag understuffed would fit. And you really need to know your bag fits in advance and be friendly/persuasive enough that they let you "try". The oversize bags sold as regulation, and then overstuffed, certainly won't fit, and in general crew will default to thinking of any rollers as "too big".

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well. Thanks all. After using Kayak, then Expedia, I went to ITA/GoogleFlights and found a Delta Flight on a MD-90 to Atlanta and 737 on down to Florida arriving at 4 in the Afternoon. For only $4 more. So that is what I booked rather than the Unknown on United. I will save United for TPac Flights.