Plausible or implausible: 50,000 miles for a RT domestic flight in economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by traveltsar, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in May of this year (Memorial Day), my fiancee decided to join my younger brother and I out in California for a visit. Long story short, she didn't have the cash to purchase a ticket so therefore she used accumulated airline miles from US Air to fly out there. She supposedly used a whopping 50,000 miles to fly from PHL to BUR in economy. I ended up saying I'd repay her by transferring the miles I'd earn through flights I was taking to HEL from EWR on Lufthansa and to TFN from PHL on US Air this summer.

However, doesn't 50,000 miles on any airline for a RT domestic flight in economy from PHL to BUR seem OUTRAGEOUS? It seems extremely fishy to me and it sort of just occurred to me.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barring a last minute booking or something, 50k could be alot...not sure what the average is on US though...

3. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention that it wasn't quite last minute. She booked about 14 days in advance. I can book an award ticket on AA to BUR from PHL for 25K RT!
    Even for a 7 day advance booking, 25K RT!

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holiday weekends can affect it as well..not sure how much competition there is PHL-BUR. ;)

5. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback! One of the reasons I'm asking is because she keeps hounding me for those miles as if she's really going anywhere anytime soon!
    She's not a true traveler to me! She just gets on planes and goes somewhere! I on the other hand (as well as my fellow mile point colleagues), have turned this into an art!

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Domestic awards during low season are usually 12,500 each way -- 25k total.

You can easily see higher redemptions depending on the city pair and time of year. The best way is to use the flexible search when booking award travel... you can see for example in November awards are as low as 25k and as high as 60k, depending on what you choose.

phl_bur.PNG ons during

javacodeguy likes this.