Platinum to 1K offer

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mlangbau, Jan 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    I fell short of 1K for 2013 by 3600 miles.
    United has sent me an email with offer to purchase premier miles at a cost of approximately $1700/4000 miles.
    I travel internationally about 2-3 times per year (sometimes on partner airlines).

My questions are:

1. What are the advantages to upgrading besides the 6 global upgrades.
    2. How easy is it to use these upgrades....is there any reason that they could shut you out of using them?
    3. Can these upgrades be used if the lowest priced economy ticket is purchased?

Thanks so much for the help...I am still fairly new at this.

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. You also get 2 more regional upgrades. And better complimentary upgrade priority on domestic flights. You also get a 25% bonus in redeemable miles over Platinum Members. The full list of differences are here: (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx)

2. Depends on the route, and when you buy. If you fly business-heavy routes (SFO-PEK springs to mind), the chances of an upgrade may be different than more leisure-friendly routes. If you buy a W-fare, you can always apply them, but no guarantee on whether they clear or not.

3. No, you need W-fare at a minimum. Some members buy even higher fare classes to increase the odds of clearing an upgrade since the priority order is based on (1) status (2) fare class and (3) time on waitlist (in that order).

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, upgrades are not valid on partner airlines regardless of fare class. The only exception is Lufthansa, where upgrades can be used, but are subject to even more restrictions.

rggale and genemk2 like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My "mental" value for the GPUs is about $300 a piece, so the six GPUs, if all used, would give me about $1800 of value. Add a couple of RPUs, the extra bonus miles, a few domestic upgrades and you might get some value out of the buy-up to 1K.

That said... I am not sure if I would hand them $1700 for it. That just sounds painful, despite the math above :)

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could probably justify shelling out $1,700 for 1k status, but it would depend heavily on my travel pattern for next year.

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for all the answers. It really does hurt to fork over the money considering I've already flown 10,000 miles this year!! Just ran out of time to try and get over the hump in 2013.

One further question. Can the global upgrades be used for family members traveling with me on the same invoice?

Thanks again.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can sponsor whoever you want.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I have a friend here in Costa Rica who flies to Europe several times per year, so I give him my GPUs. What a nice guy. He always gives me two RPUs for every GPU I give him.

We met on TOBB in some forum called CC. I still have no idea what that even means. :rolleyes:

traveltoomuch and legalalien like this.
  9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you're not bartering, right? He upgrades you strictly because he's a nice guy; it has absolutely nothing to do with you upgrading him? ;)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    But of course! :D

11. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    LMAO :D