Platinum Premier now, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I called to ask where I was with respect to lifetime status and was surprised to realize after hanging up that the agent had thanked me for being a Platinum Premier. I called back and verified that indeed, it was true as of January 15 and I will receive a packet in four or six weeks, IIRC with a new card in addition to my regular Plat card.

What does Premier mean other than I am in the top 2-3% according to some metric Marriott uses? Are there special phone agents or unpublished benefits? Are complaints and similar issues handled differently?

2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations. How many nights did you have last year?

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    congrats. Another addition to your huge list of statuses. :)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A huge number, including in Residence Inn. It was my fourth consecutive year as Platinum and probably at least my 25th year in the Marriott program, which I joined in its very early days.

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Now I'll see whether it's more than wallet candy.

6. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    From reports on FT, it's basically wallet candy. But I think you get a 20% discount on food or some amenities. I can't remember since I'm not one, but there's a thread on FT re: what you get if you want to wander over there & do a search.

Cheers.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I did look at the FT thread as soon as I verified that I was anointed by Marriott, but the several threads I found were not very informative other than to vaguely suggest that it's wallet candy and might result in fewer rollover nights, although this aspect might have changed. IIRC I discovered the 20% discount from the Marriott website.

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with many things, it seems to depend on the specific property.

In most cases, it's just wallet candy, and you don't even get a chance to flash it since they already have your number in the reservation, but with some properties you seem to have a better chance at a suite upgrade, and in some cases I've been given a "double" welcoming gift (e.g., a second bottle of wine, or an extra welcome basket of fruit in the room).

9. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my colleagues is PP. Other than a fancy phone line and the discount on the food, it's about the same as my regular Platinum. It still couldn't get him a government rate in SLC at City Center or City Creek a few months ago.

I always wondered the trigger for PP. I know he hasn't been a member for 25 years, but he's been Platinum the last 8 or 9, with about half of those years having >150 nights at Marriott, and at least one where he had about 250 nights. So I guess that'll do it.

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  10. BogeyGolfer2000

BogeyGolfer2000 Active Member

Status Points:
    For 2012, Marriott discontinued the 20% discount for PP. So the only difference between PP and Platinum is a dedicated phone line.

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  11. bl4666

bl4666 New Member

Status Points:
    I am a PP. You also get a free subscription to Wall Street Journal for iPad.
    Besides that no difference in treatment. I have a discussion with a Sales Manager at a Marriott property and discuss treatment of PP, I don't think that is anything written down for the front desk to treat a PP any different than a Plat as far as upgrade goes. It really goes by the property and if you are a frequent guest they will try to take care of you out of their own, but no standard guideline for handling a PP reservation.

12. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that this will be news to most, but another little anecdote from my friend's experience as a PP. We stay at the City Center in SLC almost exclusively when we're working there, and that has been almost 60 nights this year so far - with about 40 more nights already booked. I'm actually only Gold right now (73 nights last year :mad: ), but will obviously make Platinum very soon. I generally check in before he does b/c he takes a later flight. I ALWAYS get a room on the concierge level, and occasionally a suite. In fact, they are so nice to me at the desk that I usually get the same exact room reserved week-to-week. My friend, the PP? He almost NEVER gets a room on the same floor as the concierge. And he hasn't made enough nicey nice with the front desk to get any special treatment whatsoever. They couldn't care less if he was PP or joe schmo, he gets about the same treatment. We had to promise our first born children to lock in a room for the month of May at a government rate, even though we've spent about 125 nights there since last Fall and, across my office, have probably spent a combined 500+ nights there since last Summer.

Now, he happens to be staying at a Renaissance in Atlanta for the month of April. As soon as he checked in, the staff was bending over backwards to assist him, guaranteeing that he'll always have a room there at the government rate and promising to do whatever they could to make his stay more enjoyable, including a suite upgrade and lots of smiles and how-do-you-dos. They took immediate notice of his PP status and have pretty much treated him like the top-tier Marriott customer he is.

So, what I'm trying to say is - I don't think it's so much the PP status that carries weight, it's the hotel and the staff. I think most of us know this already, but our experience confirms it in our minds. Not all hotels treat their guests the same, regardless of status.

Counsellor likes this.
  13. Bobtray

Bobtray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree. I've only been PP since January, but I haven't noticed much better treatment because of it. I was upgraded to a nice suite last week at the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina, but other than that I haven't seen any differences.

As a Platinum I did notice better treatment at international hotels, both just in general customer service at the front desk as well as some nice upgrades.

14. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest benefit I had with PP was upgrades. At the JW Marriott Phuket, the 3 times I was there as a PP, I always got upgraded to the Bedroom suite overlooking the sea. This was during season too....As a Plat there, I have never been upgraded....YMMV....

Bobtray likes this.