Platinum offered suite upgrade for $500?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SFOPeter, Oct 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually stay at the Park Tower in London, but on this trip decided to check out the new W Leicester Square. On check in, the guy at the desk asked me if I wanted to be upgraded to a suite. I said sure. He then said it would cost 300+ pounds a night. I said that Platinums should be upgraded for free. He said not at this hotel. I thought it was odd... has anyone else heard of this type of policy where Platinums can upgrade to better rooms, but not suites?

estnet, Kalboz and gleff like this.
  2. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask again (or ask someone else) - I received a decent upgrade there as a Gold last spring.

Kalboz and gleff like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess the question is whether you were being offered a standard suite eligible for upgrade or not?

The one thing I really like about the advance upgrade system for 50+ night Platinums (beyond the obvious ability to express when it matters most to you that you receive an upgrade, and get priority at those times) is that the advance process is run centrally by Starwood based on available room inventory rather than at the hotel level where games are much more likely.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've encountered this several times. They only offer junior suites or standard suites to Platinum for free and offer "specialty" suites for a fee. Happens frequently in London at popular properties.

SFOPeter and Kalboz like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if we know about this some of us will chose "not at this hotel" (as in won't stay here!)

good to put in a master thread on the property (won't get there from the title and might not show up on a search)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only had one suite night left and was there for 5 nights... oh well.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leicester Square is hardly where I would choose to recommend anyone to stay anyway- however many hotels in London have this type of upsell- both chain and non-chain. I find non-chain hotels in London to typically offer much better value with a few exceptions such as the Four Seasons and the Dorchester. Even with suites in London I have had some rooms that are so strange in layout that a suite description is really quite a stretch.

Kalboz likes this.