Platinum Member Upgrade Guarantee

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by alohastephen, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a platinum member, paying for a room, I read this as a guaranteed complimentary upgrade (upon availability), but was denied an upgrade even when the front desk tried to upsell me to a club room at a Crowne Plaza. :confused:

Please feel free to share your interpretation and/or experiences.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/ptc/ptc.html
    1. Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Members: Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade to the hotel's Concierge or Club Level (for Crowne Plaza) or to the hotel's Executive Level or Executive Edition Level (for Holiday Inn brands), or to the best available room, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.

2. The same thing happened to me last week at the Crowne Plaza Riyadh. No upgrade and not even a corner room. I complained to the manager but it did noy accomplish anything. I gave up.

alohastephen likes this.
  3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a Club level room at Crowne Plaza Crystal City on a weeknight reward stay. No club lounge, no water, but they did give me free interent, a coupon for one free breakfast and one welcome drink. Beat paying $250 for this humdrum property.

alohastephen likes this.
  4. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that this is the portion that the hotels rely on when not providing upgrades. I did receive an upgrade at the Crowne Plaza Universal recently (as a gold), but definitely wasn't expecting it. I think that the consensus of opinion is that you should never expect the upgrade and be pleasantly surprised when you receive one.

alohastephen likes this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially as PC Plat. Other than the 50% point bonus, I expect less than nothing as Plat, and that is what you usually receive.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same happened to me at a Crowne Plaza and a HIX in Fort Lauderdale while I was Gold earlier this year. Both times I was given an upgrade without even requesting it.

Still, I have to sort of agree with the OP on this. The T&C say "based on availability" so if you're going to upsell me on the upgrade, it means at least something is available and not reserved. It's kind of tricky because they can always say it's at the discretion of the property or the manager or whatever, but least they can do is offer a discounted upgrade or something.

Makes you feel like it's no use being Platinum, but I guess at the end of the day you speak with your wallet. I wouldn't stay at that property again personally if they don't want to reward my loyalty in some way.

sobore, alohastephen and KathInJax like this.
  7. I just stayed at an Indigo and got the party line about “when available”. I don't think ICHG pushes their hotels hard enough as a policy item for platinum member upgrades.

alohastephen and KathInJax like this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I don't care much about this status. HHonors provides me with upgrades 100% of the time and free breakfast and lounge access. I don't even hold top status with them (Gold) and I still get these benefits.

uggboy and alohastephen like this.
  9. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

If the hotel is offering to sell me a better room upon check in (it was a Club level at Crowne Plaza), it would seem that the better room (available by their own admission) should fall clearly within their own terms of "best available room." :confused:

10. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same problem with a hix tonight. I had confirmed a room with 1 queen and I asked for a room with 2 doubles. 70.00 upcharge for the same room type with 2 beds. I had to argue for the "upgrade"

alohastephen likes this.
  11. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The language in their "terms" seems clear to me. I hope that you did not have argue much after showing them their website.

12. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    i don't expect much these days. ICs show respect for RAs, but not all the time