Platinum + Lounge Question: Companions

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by schnitzel, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read the information here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/american-aadvantage-elite-status/

But I couldn't figure out if my companions on a coach flight to Europe will get access to the lounge with me, assuming they have no status. Maybe one companion?

Next question is, if my benefits won't extend to them, I'd like to get them day passes via BusinessExtrAA points. But those seem to truly be "day" passes: "Admirals Club® Day Pass" and the flight is a red-eye, with a connection. So the LAX portion is one day, and the LHR layover is the next. Will they give me a problem using one "day" pass for two days? "Pass may be used at multiple clubs on the same day."

Has anyone ever used or even seen one of these?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try the AA website? It lays out most scenarios pretty well (see below). Short answer, yes with one companion.

Don't you have the World Elite card? If so, you can get more people in that way than through status.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...p?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=loungeaccess

Is your LHR connection in the same terminal as AA? A lot of European flights aren't, so AC isn't an option. If you're on a Oneworld airline, you can use your status to gain access.

jbcarioca and schnitzel like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great link - but where do I fall? I'll actually probably have an upgrade for myself, but assuming I'm coach with Platinum, which is the grid for me?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were Business Class with no status, you wouldn't get a guest. Because you are a PLT, you get AC with one guest regardless of coach/business.

And again, if you have the World Elite AC membership you should use that because you can get more people in with you.

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - so I'm the oneworld Sapphire row, I guess.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right PLT = OW Sapphire.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    John777 -

Ever used a BusinessExtrAA day pass? I've got to believe that the "one day" language really means one one-way itinerary without stopover, but with layover, but can you confirm?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The language on the day passes is: If you are traveling through multiple cities with lounges, you may use the day pass to access more than one lounge that day. If traveling overnight, the pass is also valid at the first point of arrival the following day.

So it does include lounge access after an overnight flight when you land. The important question is one that John777 asked above: where is your connection? If you're connecting with BA and need to go to T5, your pass cannot be used there. If you're connecting in T3 with BA or another OW airline, you can use it at the Admiral's Club.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's BA to AMS, so I think that means T5. So I'm out of luck on the day passes? But I assume I can still do the BA lounge there as a Plat, with one guest.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BA flights to AMS leave from T5. If you want to confirm on your specific day of travel: LINK.

About the BA lounge, yes, your OW benefits will apply there with one guest. The lounge agent may take pity on you and allow the children in. I wouldn't bank on it though.

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. T5.

So maybe I'll get the passes for the way home - then we'll have a nice (2:50) layover in T3 waiting for the LHR-LAX coach ride home.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you really need lounge access, you can purchase passes to AA's Arrival's lounge. You'd have to exit the terminal on arrival in LHR to access it though and the price is pretty ridiculous, $90 plus tax: LINK.

You pretty much need to have lots of extra time and free cash to throw around, though.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds pretty nice, but at $90US/person, no thanks! We'll slum it with Boots and such.

14. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA lounge in T3 is really not worth paying for- I'd rather just use that money at one of the restaurants :cool:

15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it would be using some vouchers from BusinessExtrAA. Still not worth it? I can certainly keep those points for other uses.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you're evaluating just food vs a restaurant, yeah, not worth it. A place to sit, wifi, TV, unlimited comp beverages, etc... might be worthwhile depending on what you value.

17. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that if could be a value for some.

One item to keep in mind- some of the gates in T3 are a good hike, and the US bound flights have extra 'security' and the gate area is separated by with glass walls. You can leave the area but they generally screen you again- I watched a security guard carefully inspect two coffee cups this past Sunday. Who says the best theater is in the West End?

schnitzel, macqueline and jbcarioca like this.
  18. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deleted as not applicable.

schnitzel likes this.
  19. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the shuttle info - if we do that, do we need to go through security again at T5, or are we past that by using the shuttle?

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When you depart the plane you are offered three options: Immigration for those terminating travel at LHR, connecting to a flight from T3, and connecting to T5/T4/etc. Will LHR allow them to get their connecting boarding card at the transit desk in T3 and clear security into T3? My understanding was that without a T3 departure, so how could he hang around T3 or the AC?

schnitzel likes this.
  21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you take the shuttle you will need to clear security again at T-5.

schnitzel likes this.
  22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - so we should spend some time at T3, each, shop, whatever, but still leave time for the shuttle and security over at T5.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm still not convinced you'll be able to get into T3 without a T3 boarding pass.

I also disagree with the assertion that T3 is a better terminal than T5 in terms of passing time. I'd take T5 over the dreary T3 any day.

T3 shops: LINK
    T5 shops: LINK
    Restaurants: LINK

The offerings are fairly similar but the atmosphere and surroundings in T5 are nicer.

schnitzel likes this.
  24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it that there's no commerce in T5?

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I updated my post above with the restaurant and shopping options. They're fairly similar.

schnitzel likes this.