Platinum Guaranteed Availability

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got the need to use the Platinum Guaranteed Availability and it worked better than I expected. I'm having to substitute for a co-worker at HIMSS in NOLA next week. Staying just outside NOLA proper at a rack rate of 239 vs nearly 450 for a Starwood downtown (both the rack rate and both sold out), but well worth it given the otherwise zero availability unless you want something by the hour.

Someone's getting walked... but I have no idea where on earth they'll walk them to. Baton Rouge, perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca, skyvan and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had to use this with Hyatt before, during the Lacrosse Final Four in Baltimore. What sucked is that I had to pay 500 for a room, what didn't suck is I was actually in Baltimore and not stuck in DC. Excited to meet my Starwood challenge over the next three months so I can take advantage of this with SPG.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, pickings were pretty sparse, especially given that I don't know NOLA well and didn't want to end up in the wrong place. That and I earn Starpoints. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca and skyvan like this.
  4. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a great benefit when you really need it. Also, the hotel doesn't necessarily need to walk anyone, since there is always at least one no-show.

Also, even though it's "guaranteed", the benefit is not available if the hotel shows over a certain percentage of overselling.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used it in Moscow a few times, at rack rates of ~US$850, about the going rate for mid-summer anyway. I have never used it elsewhere. When you need it the price is high, but availability is the priority. I appreciate the benefit and I imagine the hotel is not sad either.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They walked several folks here. I asked. The city was full for 30 miles out unless you wanted a place by the hour... and you didn't really want a place by the hour. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    People were being walked who'd had reservations and were Plat when I last arrived in Moscow in summer. I had the guarantee, they did not. they walked, I was upgraded to a suite. The guarantee works! At a price, but it works!

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd feel like a jerk for using it if it weren't something that was offered to me as part of a business arrangement (the benefit in exchange for stays/nights). From that perspective, it's just business. And from the perspective of the person being walked, it's also just business. It just sucks more for them. :)