Platinum Concierge reservation

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jasher926, Aug 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why does the SPG rep ask you to announce your password to the world when making a reservation over the the phone?? You would think they could just make the reservation when you give them your SPG number! It's just weird rattling off your password on the phone.

Does SPG expect us to only make reservations when no one else is in the room? shhhh, it's a secret reservation...

jmrich1432, SFOCanuck and SC Flier like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the way DL does it when making award bookings over the phone. The rep tells you that you will be prompted to put your PIN in and then transfers you to an automated system where you enter your pin on the phone keypad. The system gives the rep the go-ahead to do the booking and you're good to go! No need to say anything out-loud.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH AmEx is horrible in this regard and getting worse all the time. They won't even talk to you until you announce things like your card number and pin, mailing address, birthdate, and mother's maiden name in public, with no understanding when you explain that you're calling from a crowded hotel lobby or airport lounge. The last time I was in this situation I got horrible attitude from their phone rep, even after I moved to a more private area and answered his questions. It required intervention of a supervisor and waiting for my original agent to simply have a confirmation re-faxed to the same fax number it had been sent to when it didn't all go through properly. What a huge waste of time and bad customer service!

jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Without implementing systems like DL appears to have which no doubt are probably expensive, it is probably hard to manage. It is all in the interest of your account safety. Whilst there is a catch 22 to this, what annoys me is when they a voice prompt asks for all these details and your phone password only to have a person then request more information after you've already imputed what you think is enough verification. (not spg btw but still...)

I think this has been discussed a few times where you can have a different password for phone service to internet service and it is recommended to make the two separate. If you don't have this already, it might be worth ringing up and requesting. May I also suggest you consider just log into their website online (i believe it's now operating longer hours now) and talk on SPG chat, they still ask for your password to make reservations but at least if you're in a crowd area hopefully no one will see it.

unclepants likes this.