Platinum challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chz2215, May 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like I will retain my US chairmans status by the end of summer. Anyone know if I were to do a Platinum challenge on AA in Q4 would that earn me platinum status for all of 2013?

tondoleo likes this.
  2. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Until Feb 2014.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. One more question to clarify..AS travel does not count towards a challenge unless it is booked under an AA flt # correct?

tondoleo likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Right. You might find this page helpful: LINK. Good luck. :)

sobore and tondoleo like this.
  5. FlyMe Marc

FlyMe Marc Active Member

Status Points:
    I am on PLT Challenge right now. All qualifying points have to be on AA or AA coded flights. Next week I have a trip and that will put almost to 10,000 EQPs (think 150 points short) and then will be pushed over on during my first trip in June. Also, remember to check the fare code to ensure how many points you earn. Fares S,O,N,G, & Q only give 1/2 points so avoid those fares during the challenge.

6. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you granted Gold status while doing the platinum challenge so you could access preferred seats?

7. FlyMe Marc

FlyMe Marc Active Member

Status Points:
    So I am 150 points away from challenge completion...I thought about if I would get gold status on my way to PLT, but I did not and I really booked my tickets correctly and most of them are in F or C so GLD would be irrelevant. The one flight where I am in Y I just bought the preferred seat, but 150 points into that flight I will be PLT!

8. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What tool does everyone like to use to price the fares just above "deep discount" to ensure earning 1:1 point to mile ratio?

9. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I receive gold status during a PLT challenge due to my US or DL status do the 500 point minimums for short hops count towards status challenge points or is it only the actuals? I know that with no status it is actuals but am not clear on if it is treated differently for Golds trying to reach PLT.

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can usually find the fares in expertflyer or kvs. You can also use ITA's matrix to search fare basis. At that point, call AA. I would start with the automation help desk but it may end up with reservations.

As for 500 minimums counting for plat challenge, i believe so but truthfully don't know.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is no longer a minimum point guarantee for elites, only a minimum mileage guarantee. The minimum point guarantee was eliminated on Jan 16, 2009.

So to calculate your EQP earned on flights below 500 miles, you take the base miles earned (either actual miles flown as a non-elite or the 500 minimum earned as an elite) and multiply it by the EQP earning rate for the fare class purchased.

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I read this correctly, you dont get any benifits during the challenge period?? No preffered seating or Lounge access?

13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, no benefits. However, I've heard that you can be awarded at least Gold upon enrollment of a Platinum challenge. YMMV.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be curious to hear from some AA veteran PLT out there.. My biggest reservation in switching to AA is giving up complimentary upgrades on DL. Are you happy with the 500 mile upgrade program or should I be wary of this when considering my options?

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been plat on and off for the past 8 years or so. I actually like the 500 sticker idea because most of the time when i want the upgrade, i get it. Others say this won't happen as easily if there was UDU on AA. I left UA before UDU came into effect so I haven't played on a system that had them, but i really like knowing when i want the upgrade, i have a good shot at getting it. since not everyone else on the plane is fighting for it too.

malikguy likes this.
  16. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Tenmoc. I have a buddy with DL and he says that he has a tough time getting upgraded on Delta. With AA I think there is a significant difference between Gold and PLT and even EXP. When I was Gold, I was upgraded maybe 25% of the time. Now, if I don't include flights that I have done standby on or flights where F was full before T-72, I'm at 100% of my requested upgrades for 2013 (and I've flown about 6 segments this year). I also feel that the stickers are priced fairly if you need to buy them.

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks this is helpful. For the most part as long as I have wifi and an exit row I am happy so maybe I will pull the trigger.