Platinum Challenge Info

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MaryDarling, Jan 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    While many of you likely know the details, I thought I'd share my recent chat session with an SPG rep on the topic of the Platinum Challenge. It explains the process pretty clearly.

The two surprises for me were: 1) that you can challenge up to two months retroactively. If you stayed 18 SPG nights in the previous two months, you can challenge today and they'll count those nights; and 2) that if you fail to meet the challenge you can challenge again in the next month.

See below for more details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tracy A.: I am not able to upgrade to to Gold at this time but I would like to tell you about our Platinum challenge.

ME: OK

Tracy A.: Status Challenges allow SPG to provide you the opportunity to accelerate your ability to earn Platinum status by meeting eligible night requirements within a specific time frame. You must earn 18 eligible nights within three consecutive months. Please keep the following in mind:

You may only register for one status challenge per month. For example, if you registered for a status challenge this month, but you realize you prefer a different set of three months to challenge, you must contact us next month to be re-registered for another month.

You may select the three consecutive months you prefer, including retroactively counting nights already stayed for the first two months of the three month window.

Eligible nights are only paid nights in an eligible paid stay with Starpoint eligible room revenue which posts to your account. Although this offer assists you with reaching an elite level, SPG Award nights do not count toward this offer, as this offer is a promotion.

Once the challenge is met (18 nights within the three month period) it takes three to five days before the Platinum Status upgrade will be applied to the account.

You cannot be registered for a Platinum Status Challenge after successfully meeting a prior status challenge.

ME: OK -- let me make sure I understand. I have three months to stay 18 nights, after which I receive Platinum status. The stays can't be award stays, and must be stays with award points. (i.e. no Priceline). If I try and fail to reach the 18 nights, I have to wait a month before trying again. Is that right?

Tracy A.: Yes that is right, but also after you have 10 stays you will be Gold.

ME: If so, do the nights I earn toward the challenge reset to 0 if I complete it successfully, or will they count toward establishing elite status next year, too?

Tracy A.: Any stay you have this year will count for next years status.

ME: Great. And if I sign up for this on the 15th (my first trip is on the 16th) would I have until April 15th to complete it?

Tracy A.: You can only sign up at the beginning of the month.It would start January 1 or February 1, whichever month you decide.

ME: So it seems like the smart thing is to sign up when I've completed a number of stays in the previous two months, and am sure I'll meet the challenge in the third month. So, if I sign up at the end of February, I can ask that the challenge period run from January to March, correct?

Tracy A.: That is correct.

ME: What is the process for signing up?

Tracy A.: You just have to chat with us or call us and we add it to your account. You will then receive an email telling you that you have signed up for the Platinum Challenge.

zpaul, mht_flyer, Kalboz and 19 others like this.
  2. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would probably double check the answer with another source first.

zpaul, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have an experience that indicates that SPG would not follow through w/what has been described to the OP?:confused:

zpaul likes this.
  4. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    My original post was a verbatim copy of the chat session I had with the SPG rep, and it looks to me like she was copying and pasting the boilerplate terms and conditions into her messages.

zpaul, Kalboz, cliq and 3 others like this.
  5. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they late you back date your start for the challenge. That's great, so you can pretty much guarantee passing if you've had a good two months.

6. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I 've followed up with the Platinum Concierge and can confirm every bit of this. Thanks for sharing the original info MaryDarling. :D

zpaul, Kalboz, flyingdawg and 4 others like this.
  7. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    After learning so much from so many on these boards, I'm just very happy to have been able to contribute a little bit!

Did my first 3 SPG nights this week, and have another set of nights coming up. I'll challenge on the first of March for January - March, and hope to be Platinum by April 1.

8. snfitch

snfitch Active Member

Status Points:
    I was told that one can not register for the platinum challange if you currently are platinum until the end of February but have not requalified for next year. Am I correct that based on the above, I am able to register for the challange on March 1 and have my stays from Jan/Feb count towards my challange?

zpaul and Kalboz like this.
  9. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if they have a rule that someone who was a Platinum X months/years ago is ineligible for the challenge. Else someone would just do the challenges every other year when they don't have the status.

zpaul and Kalboz like this.
  10. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    Just to keep things up to date, here's the chat session with an SPG rep this afternoon, as I signed up for the challenge retroactively:
    -------------------------
    MARY DARLING: Hi -- I'd like to sign up for the Platinum Challenge, with the dates of the challenge running from January 1, 2012 through March 31st, 2012.

Mitzi B.: Thanks for using Starwood Preferred Guest's Click to Chat on SPG.com. My name is Mitzi. I will be delighted to assist you today.

Mitzi B.: Could you hold for one moment, please, while I access your account, Ms. Darling?

MARY DARLING: Happy to

Mitzi B.: Thank you!

Mitzi B.: Thank you for your patience, Ms. Darling. I have successfully registered you for the Platinum Challenge for January - March, 2012. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MARY DARLING: Excellent! That's great, and all I needed.

Mitzi B.: Thank you for using Starwood Preferred Guest's Chat. Don't hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance. Bye Now!
    -----------------------
    It doesn't get much simpler than that. Thanks to challenges, I'll be an SPG Plat and a US Airways Plat by the end of March (and I may make Chairman's with US). It's a productive winter!

zpaul, Kalboz, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  11. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I registered today because I thought it was the last day of the month... :oops:

Kalboz likes this.
  12. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! This is great! I probably won't really use it, since most of my hotel travel is concentrated in the fall, but certainly good to know about!

13. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mattress Run this week for 1 more night to make the Platinum Challenge. Thanks to this thread! :D

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  14. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife just completed the Plat Challenge and her status changed within a day of check-out. Also, it shows her lifetime elite status as 1 year. So doing the challenge does give you a year toward lifetime.

Kalboz, MaryDarling and perryplatypus like this.
  15. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    I completed the Platinum Challenge this week, but maddeningly, the SPG rep tells me it will take 7-10 days for the account to register my new status. That means I won't get the benefits during a stay this week, which is annoying. Here's hoping they move faster than they're telling me!

I have to add that I was doing a US Airways Trial Preferred challenge at the same time, and reached Chairman's Preferred (CP) with two weeks to spare. My status changed to reflect CP within 24 hours of my flight, so US Airways is way ahead of Starwood on this one!

16. YXT

YXT Active Member

Status Points:
    I just registered for the challenge and the chat on spg.com went almost exactly as Mary described.

I requested the challenge period cover March through May since I had 10 nights last month and the spg agent didn't question the retro period.

Only hiccup I had was my chat session disconnected just after the agent told me I'd been registered for the challenge and before I could thank her for her help.

Kalboz and MaryDarling like this.
  17. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get
    Did you get a registration confirmation email?

Kalboz likes this.
  18. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same boat. FWIW, I was told 5-7 days...

MaryDarling likes this.
  19. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    It's now official -- my account shows me as a Platinum! I'll test out what it means starting Sunday, when I head back East on a week long trip.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... question, is there a Gold Challenge...? I dont have a chance to make Plat, but if there was a lower level challenge I may make Gold....

21. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they offer a Gold challenge, but (at the top of the thread) it says you can become Gold after 10.

Gaucho likes this.
  22. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but that would be the Standard way to earn Gold... so no acceleration or shortcut then....

23. YXT

YXT Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes I got the email confirming the challenge and the challenge period that I requested. It also confirmed that in my challenge period I need 18 nights to get Plat.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    My status was upgraded within a couple of hours of my post. I had the better by the night bonus post and then the status change.

25. goldmember

goldmember New Member

Status Points:
    American Express provides a great way to achieve gold status. You earn points for using their starwood credit card and if you spend a certain amount of money on the credit card each year you are automatically given gold. We use the card for everything and it has given us lots of points. You also get 10,000 points for signing up and 15,000 bonus points for reaching a certain dollar amount charged within a specific time frame.

Kalboz likes this.