Platinum and Delta club access

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by profpeabody, Mar 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't seem to find the answer to this on AmEx or Delta site...the platinum AmEx gets you access to the Delta lounge but is that just for one person or will it cover my husband too?

NYBanker likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK it's one person now and only when you have a same day DL flight. (Codeshares don't count.)

The rule used to be two guests or immediate family (as defined....) but we lost guest privileges when DL moved to regular and executive SC memberships, with only the latter permitting guests.

If you call AmEx Plat card customer service (the number on the back of your card), they should be able to verify this and specifically check that we are past the changeover date.

profpeabody likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just wondering this same thing recently. The only info I can find on AE site is $29 fee for club access to card holders. I just got off the phone with AE and they said with the Plat card that access for the holder is $29.

Edit: nm you are talking about a different card, ignore the man behind the curtain

profpeabody likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Access to DL SCs is free for holders of the REGULAR nonaffiliated AmEx Plat CHARGE CARD (the one with an annual fee of $450-500 for USA based cards) when there is a DL flight on the same day. If one has the affiliated AmEx DELTA PLAT CREDIT CARD (or the equivalent Gold card IIRC), there is as $29 charge per entry.

profpeabody likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    $29, and it created an unnecessarily embarrassing moment @ ATL a couple weeks ago. I entered with a colleague (I've only had the card a couple months, this was only my second lounge use, and first with a guest) and presented the BP and the AX card, said "we" (blah blah) and after she swiped my card and we went to walk in, she barked at my companion something to the effect of "where are you going? It is $29." He (a business colleague) then refused to enter despite the fact that I offered and would have paid for his entry. She should have simply said "your guest will be $29" when we walked in.

profpeabody likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

Since mid-year last year, your Amex Platinum membership only allows you in for free. There is a fee for guests, including immediate family, of $29 per guest. So, if it is you, a spouse and two children under 18, it would be $87 to enter the club.

Does your spouse have an additional Platinum card on your account? (There is a $[175] fee for the additional card.) If so, they as a card member also get free access (but make sure to bring both cards to present at entry).

If the guests are not "immediate family," then you are limited to two guests at $29 each. Additional guests would need to pay the normal day rate for lounge access, which I think is $[50].

I'm really torn about these changes. Many, however, travel on business with one or more colleagues. Whereas previously you could bring a co-worker or two at no charge, now there is a sub-optimal menu: (a) go to the lounge solo and leave your colleagues to the masses, not being a "team player," (b) don't go to the lounge at all, reducing your value of having these high-fee credit cards or (c) the awkward situation of who pays the $29 for each guest. While $29 is de minimis in the grander scheme of things, if you travel frequently, it can begin to add up.

Since my wife also has a Platinum card, for us, it was just the fee for the kids, which I paid. Then I was on a few trips with colleagues where we had an hour+ wait - so I hosted my colleagues into the lounge, and discretely paid for them (they went into the lounge and I said I needed to something else with the agent - and paid when they went in) - so they wouldn't feel awkward.

I ended up using one of my Delta Diamond Choice options to upgrade my membership to Executive, which allows immediately family or two guests for free. This solves the issue for me.

These changes, however, are a non-trivial limitation to the value of the lounge access program with the Amex card. And, I only solved it with my Delta Diamond status, not anything from Amex.

The flip side, however, is I find the lounges, particularly in the NY area, to be much, much less crowded now. This area is a sea of Platinum cards - and quite often, the lounges were full. Now, following these changes last year, though my travel habits haven't really changed, I don't recall a time where I found a DL lounge around here full. I present as Exhibit A...JFK T2 SC at 7:30am on a Tuesday in February... you can almost hear the crickets!

[​IMG]

profpeabody likes this.
  7. kmjaber

kmjaber Silver Member

Status Points:
    @NYBanker Thanks for the explanation, I was debating the merits of upgrading my card to Platinum for lounge access and now I feel that it makes sense keeping my PRG card.