Platinum Amex retention offer?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by alohastephen, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently read on FW about a guy who was offered 50K MR points after calling to cancel their Platinum Amex card. His reasoning was because of the non-availability of CO transfers from October 1st.

He was a relatively big spender (compared to me) at $4,000-$5,000/month. And has had the card for 7-8 years.

Just curious if anyone else has had the same offer?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1130100/

2. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in that range of spend and temporarily moved to the PR Gold card. When I called in to change cards there was no retention offer, just a confirmation of the card change and the pro-rated refund of fees. I'd imagine this is a YMMV situation.

FlyingFree and alohastephen like this.
  3. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be a stupid question, but what number did you call to change your Amex Platinum to Gold? I've tried doing this and I keep getting caught up in automation Hell...

4. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called the number on the back of the card and asked the agent to direct me to cardholder services.

alohastephen and FlyingFree like this.
  5. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps since you called to "change" amex cards there was no retention offer because you weren't technically leaving them. But still, a definte YMMV.

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was offered 25k MR points last year to keep Platinum card, but at that time there was a lot of changes in benefits.

alohastephen likes this.