Plat challenge newbie

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MaryDarling, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a recent convert to the world of miles and status but am certainly doing my best to catch up with both! Having gotten the BA credit card miles plus cashed is some AMEX points, I'm planning on taking my SO somewhere in the world sometime in 2012. (We have 300K BA miles and will rack up enough spend on the card to get the companion award ticket, too.)

In September - November, I know I need to do at least three (and possibly six) transcon flights from SFO-WAS, and can do so in business class. Is it worthwhile to do these flights on American as part of a Platinum Challenge? SFO isn't an AA hub, but if we're going to use the BA miles for our big trip in 2012, I'm thinking the status might make our lives easier on the other OneWorld carriers.

Are the rewards worth the effort? Or should I use those transcons to rack up miles with another carrier who uses SFO as a hub? Any tips or advice welcome.

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elite status are always welcome. You can't forget that by being platinum on AA grants you the Sapphire Status on OneWorld Alliance, which will give access to the Vip Lounges and 100% Bonus on paid tickets. I always recommend friends to do the challenge, even if the airport is not a hub for AA. But in your case SFO has Admirals Club and you can use LAX which is only 40 min flying from SFO. AA has a great coverage in North America and very good partners around the world. I think you should do the challenge!

MaryDarling likes this.
  3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few things worth pointing out... If you get status on AA, you'll need to credit at least 6,667 miles worth of that SFO-WAS business class flying to AA, which won't go to your BA account, which it seems has most of your miles. In general, fragmenting your earning like that makes your miles less valuable.

Between you and me (and everyone else here), I'd suggest booking these trips as SFO-LAX-IAD in paid F (these flights don't offer J, so F on these flights will cost about the same as J on SFO-JFK-WAS), and crediting that travel to your BAEC account. You'll rack up tons of tier points (480 points for each round trip), and BAEC Gold is much more valuable to someone with your travel patterns than AA Platinum would be--you'll get first class lounge access for all itineraries (no first class status-based access for AA Platinum, and no status-based lounge access at all for flights solely within North America/Caribbean), and you'll be giving up domestic upgrades on AA, which aren't worth anything anyway if you're flying in a paid premium cabin to begin with. Note that there are some important fine-print factors on BAEC, like having to take four flights on BA metal before moving up a tier, and having your tier points reset after promotion to the next level, that you'll want to understand before pursuing BAEC status, but it's worth looking at.

If you're not going to be flying primarily paid J/F fares, or your BA miles are one-off and you won't be earning any more over there, AA status may make sense. However, it will be more difficult to reach and maintain AA status with paid premium transcons than it will on AA (even with a UK or US address, 3 SFO-LAX-East Coast of USA transcons in F and a US-Europe flight with a connection in London will requalify you for BAEC Gold/oneworld Emerald year after year, but wouldn't get you even close to AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald).

MaryDarling, ChicagoEric and viguera like this.
  4. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. These replies are hugely helpful and have me thinking things through again. I know we new folks ask some tedious questions at times (or at least I do!), so I genuinely appreciate everyone's patience as I get up to speed. Thanks.