Plans OK’d for Des Plaines hotel, parking garage

Discussion in 'ORD/MDW | Chicago Area Airports' started by sobore, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Preliminary plans for a new development featuring a seven-story garage, drive-thru restaurant and a nine-story hotel in northwest suburban Des Plaines were approved last week despite one alderman's concerns about the future of the city-owned property.

The Des Plaines City Council voted 7-1 to approve conceptual plans for a 4,000-square-foot drive-thru restaurant, a 2,350-stall garage and a 180-room hotel on a 4.9-acre site near Mannheim and Higgins roads. That differs slightly from the original proposal, which shows a 120-room hotel, five-story garage and 5,000-square-foot restaurant.

The plans show the hotel and garage will be nearly double the size of the 45-foot height limit in the commercial area, but officials weren't too worried about the elevation. Instead, they asked about other elements, like the construction timeline, possible green elements inside the garage and the cost for reconstructing a nearby street and bridge that parking patrons will use.

The city is selling the land to The Parking Spot, a Chicago-based company, for $1.1 million under a redevelopment deal that could be finalized in June.

Ald. Jim Brookman criticized the sale price, saying it was too low, since the property has a value of at least $3.5 million. He said the hotel was a key part of the agreement, but feels the developer isn't doing all it can to sell some of the land to a hotel operator.

Read More:,0,923333.story
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

This is really close to the ohare economy parking lot at the end of the monorail line which charges 18(!!!!!!) dollars per day. I'm quite sure The Parking Spot will offer around 10 bucks and finally give the city of Chicago some well deserved competition
    sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

I've been in meetings with my alderman and this is what I believe will happen as well.

I wouldn't expect a hotel to happen anytime soon seeing the saturation & vacant hotel properties near ORD.
    sobore and tommy777 like this.