Planning trip to Maldives - amateur here

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mc12345, Aug 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mc12345

mc12345 New Member

Status Points:
    I have a question about what credit card / frequent flyer program would be the best for a particular trip. Let’s assume in two years, I want to fly first class from NYC to Maldives. Assuming I have no prior history with any credit cards or airline mileage programs, what would be the best credit card to use for getting the best deal there? Apologies for what might be a very basic question, but I have very little familiarity with this and the number of different programs and advice out there can be a bit overwhelming.

So, just looking for the best option for building up to a first class ticket from NYC to Maldives.

Thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 years is quite a bit a way so the mileage requirement are likely to change. Just keep that in mind.

Just going on basics here I would assume getting AAdvantage Miles would be your best choice since Eithad files from NYC to MLE (with a stop in AUH). Alternatively getting Alaska miles would be a good bet for flights on Emirates. I believe AAdvantage charges 90k for F to MLE from the US & Alaska is 100k for the flight on Emirates.

Alternatively if you're open to the Idea of Business class, United miles (Chase UR included) would be 80k for Business class and that might be easier to secure. Or Qatar using AAdvantage miles since I don't believe Qatar has First (I could be wrong)

3. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think American miles might be your best bet. Qatar and Etihad first and business class are excellent products and availability is pretty good. Both airlines partner with American, so you could try one airline outbound and the other back. If you needed extra miles, there are often sales where you can buy up to 100k miles per year. I would advise not flying BA - on our scoring system, Qatar business scores higher than BA first and the taxes are much lower. I think there is a good c/c sign-up bonus at the moment to get you started.

However, in the Maldives, your highest costs may be on hotels, so it is worth looking at hotel points too, depending where you want to stay. The Park Hyatt has the best reef, if you are into scuba or snorkelling, but the hotel itself is expensive for what you get. However, with the Hyatt credit card and collecting points you could get a few nights free here. The Conrad gets good reviews, W may also be an option, or some of the consortium hotels, such as SLH. Alternatively, start saving now!

Counsellor likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA miles are best now, but that may change in 6 months time, much less 2 years out. Hyatt points are good value for hotels there, and ultimate rewards can transfer to them. 2 people getting hyatt visas would each get 2 nights (within 1 year of your application), and chase UR cards like sapphire could get another 3 or 4 nights easily enough.

But things could change by the time you redeem.

Counsellor likes this.
  5. tombrady1212

tombrady1212 Active Member

Status Points:
    Check out greedyrates.ca! It's the perfect site to answer those questions.