Planning to burn US miles to Europe. Book while in Star? Or wait for oneworld?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by phlguy80, Mar 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. phlguy80

phlguy80 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

I'm wondering about something and didn't find anything via forum search that directly addressed this type of situation...

I have a bunch of US miles and am planning to redeem for a 2-person trip to Europe this summer. (probably a multi-city itinerary, PHL-AMS and BUD-PHL).

I'd like to redeem in business, but am OK with economy if it's nice (for example, I've flown LH economy and found it comparable to US domestic first, which is more or less acceptable to me for this flight length). And I'd rather fly with a partner airline than with US.

What I'm wondering is, should I try to book while US is still in Star? Or wait until they leave it, and book the award on a oneworld partner?

What do you see as the pros/cons to each? What would you do in my shoes and why?

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm shocked that you found LH Y that nice. It is generally one of the more cramped coach experiences I've had. :eek:

That said, the main benefit IMO of waiting is that if there are schedule changes you get the benefit of already having a OW booking so getting other OW flights shouldn't be too onerous. If there are troubles with a *A booking odds are you'll be forced over to OW partners at that time. The flip side of that is *A has a lot more TATL options than OW does to get you where you want to go. And I'm willing to bet that flying BA metal on a US award will incur YQ fees so odds are the *A option will be cheaper, too.

If you can get the non-stop US flight PHL-AMS in biz I'd grab that and figure the rest of the details around that. The 757 isn't glamorous but a flight that short isn't worth going too far out of the way IMO.

3. phlguy80

phlguy80 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Good point about the fees, I haven't had to deal with that before.

I probably just haven't traveled enough yet for my baseline to be elevated yet. Working on that... ;)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's awfully late to be doing bookings during peak US-Europe travel season (summer), and every day you wait means less space will be available (especially given that you are booking 2 seats). I'd book whatever space you can get now.

A cursory look shows exactly two dates in June with space on PHL-AMS in J or Y at the 100K level for 2 seats, 2 dates in August... Act now, supplies are limited...

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:

That's not always true. FWIW, I flew on coach class from Frankfurt to Dulles last Friday on an LH 747-8. As I'm 6'5", I'm definitely sensitive to being cramped in steerage class. This LH plane configuration provided more seat width (18.5") than an LH Airbus or LH 747-400. I was able to comfortably place my long legs under the seat in front of me during the flight. When combined with some great movies and the famous Lufthansa service-with-a-smile, it was overall a great coach class flight experience, and one that I'd recommend to anyone.

Max M, Jaimito Cartero and gregm like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been on the 748i in Y. Actually I was on it the first day it flew with customers. The Recaro slimline seats do make it a bit easier to extend your legs in front because the crossbar in the seat in front at your knees/shins isn't there. But the overall pitch still wasn't great. There are also some quirks with how the seat mounting rails line up in the 4 seat block in the middle which I found challenging. And I didn't find the seats appreciably wider than the 744s, though that might just be me.

If I have to fly LH in Y I want it to be on the 748, but overall their product is generally more cramped than not. And it definitely is not to the space levels of domestic US F.