Planning my Next CC Churn!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Kalboz, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My planned next CC churn date is 4/15/2012 for at total of 250K mile/point haul (if all available & approved) ... what do you think of my CC choices and my miles/points accumulation strategy:

- Citibank AMEX for 50K AA miles (Got the 75K miles AA Visa back in October)
    - Citibank MC for 40K AA miles
    - American Express card of some sort (I already have SPG & Costco)
    - Chase for 70K Marriott points + one free night
    - BoA Virgin Atlantic for 50K VA miles

My home airport is LAX and I am planning a trip to SE Asia for a family of 3 plus an infant ;) Any and all input or suggestions are welcome!

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if you will still get the 50K miles for the Amex. You can go for the Hilton Amex for 60K points.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. snugglening

snugglening Silver Member

Status Points:
    SE asia. I have family in Bangkok. I been there 4 times from CLE in coach and the flight is pure hell. I cant sleep on the plane and the flight is close to 23hrs on a plane,but I am sure first class is bearable. I would should for you to plan the trip in the Winter months..SE asia is usually hot hotter and hotter than hell. Awesome Churn by the way.

I am shooting for the AA cards for my next one,but after that I have no idea. I had a rather large churn in Dec that was Chase Saphire Preffered, Chase Ink Bold, Chase Freedom, Citi TY Premier, Citi Dividends, Amex SPG Personal, Amex SPG Biz....not sure what I might plan on

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the input ... wow! 7 applications for your December churn? How did you do? how many were approved?

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my line of thinking as I already have around 55K HH points and Gold status from the recent Visa offer ... Millennium Hilton Bangkok sounds great! :)
    [​IMG]

desamo likes this.
  6. snugglening

snugglening Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to call Chase reconsideration line for the Saphire, Citi reconsideration line and Amex reconsideration line, but all were approved. I met all spends on my cards this month!!! Im a new guy so I am still learning the ropes. Now if I can learn how to understand all the fares and routing rules...Get yourself as many masssages (legal) if you can while in Thailand.

weevinweaver, alohastephen and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on all the new cards (and miles/points)!

I do get an $8/one hour foot massage at a legit place while in Bangkok every other day -- this place simply called "The Best Foot Reflexology" is located on the ground floor of "Times Square" next to Asok BTS station and SGS.
    [​IMG]

NaterDC, alohastephen and kyunbit like this.
  8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the term foot reflexology

Kalboz likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    One the Amex side go with the Hilton cards. There are two versions, a free card and the surpass that gives gold status for a bit. I started with the base card mid last year, and recently received the surpass card. There is a chance that I will not get the full bonus on the second card, but it's worth trying. I can report back in a month or so as to what bonus I get on the second card.

If you would like a referral to either card let me know. (I got the surpass card with a MP referral.). Of course if the referral points are to low go with another link. Also from my experance you need to use private browsing to get additional Amex cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are not going to be able to pull of that Citi AA pull. You should have done the 2-browser trick with the Visa and Amex versions when you first applied.

From data points I have seen you need to wait AT LEAST 6 months from your application date until you can have a chance at getting a 2nd personal Citi AA card. If you want AA miles go for the business card which you can churn after 95 days.

However I would recommend going after star alliance because ANA has 100,000 biz class redemption. If you have not done Sapphire + Ink bold than doing that for yourself and SO will earn the R/T Biz class flights for each of you. This would be $16k in spend requirements within 3 months time or stagger them and it would be $8k in 3 months and $8k in following 3 months.

You could even throw in the Hilton American Express for 60k HHonors points after $750 spend.

Is that manageable?

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI: Just checked an I did get the 40k first purchase bonus from the hilton Surpass card despite getting 50k for the base card in July. Therefore I recommend going with the free card to start and save the Surpass for later.

riosjohn87, weevinweaver and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Manageable indeed ... thank you TheTravelAbstract for the great input.

I did the 2-browser trick back on 10/8 and the AMEX was denied. Pocketed 75K AA miles after the Visa spend. Reconsideration letter followed but Citi stuck to its AMEX denial stating that the 75K offer did expire. Sure enough, the 75K web link was no longer operable. Hence the 4/15 date as it will be 6 months and one week and will do the 2-browser trick again. As for Chase, I find the spend threshold of Sapphire + Ink bold kinda steep ...

iolaire, I will PM once I decide to pull the trigger on the HH AMEX, is it offering 60K HH points bonus? If available at time of application, that would give me a balance of over 100K points and will do at least 5 nights of cash & points at the Millennium Hilton ... thanks!

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    One point here, is that if you don't get approved instantly on the first browser you might want to pass on the second.

I did two browsers and both were pending, when Citi called to approve the first application she saw that I had two applications. Maybe I could have said yes that I wanted two cards, but I played dumb since I thought there was an issue with the first application. She marked the second canceled per my request...

14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go ahead and use the FT link for the base card, that is 60k after $750 in three months. My referral is only 40K after $750 in three months (plus 20K for me). Here is the FT link:
    https://www262.americanexpress.com/...ricanexpress.com&wt.mc_id=CMEM_BOl5jOB8d0IYM9

I can not refer for the surpass card right now, but someone else particlemn had a thread for it in the hilton section. His offer surpass was 40K first purchase (which I got) plus 20K for $3K in three months + something for himself.

kdw038 and Kalboz like this.
  15. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem! That is why I am here.

I am interested to know if Citi AA MC and Amex works with the 2-browser trick. Has it been documented to work before? Also 6 months is a generously on the low end of the waiting period. I think it is more typical for 9+ months to be comfortable.

The HH Amex I have on my site is the regular HHonors card not surpass. It is 60k HHonors after $750 in spend. I keep my eye on that if I were you.

iterfacio12 and Kalboz like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked, tweeted, and liked your website on FB ... very informative site, thank you! I will use the HH AMEX you have on your website when my planned churn date comes ... hope all offers will be available then!

Citi AA MC & AMEX will work fine using the 2-browser method ... mostly, I have used this method to cut down on the hard pulls (inquires) showing on credit report. Further, the last time I got a AA Citi MC was 9/2009, so it has been over 2 years since that 40K-miles card. It is time to shampoo & rinse again :D

17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say that there is a 99% chance Citi will deny any personal AA applications you make. It makes no difference to them if you are applying for AA AMEX, AA Visa, or AA MC. You will be denied for all of them since you got an AA card in October. Generally folks wait 18 months before applying for another personal AA card from Citi.
    So, your best choices from Citi would be to apply for a AA business card if you have a business or the Citi Hilton card for 50K Hilton points.

alohastephen, TAHKUCT and Kalboz like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Points Guy writes about Citibank & business CC applications:

19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    At one time Citi was easy. I got a Citi business AA in Nov. 2010 with Citi doing no checking at all and asking for no proof of business. Shortly afterward they got stricter. How strict they are at this time, i am not sure. I do agree with Points Guy that it is probably best not to apply for a business card now unless you have a real business.

TAHKUCT and Kalboz like this.
  20. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uh...was your boat sinking when you took the picture of the Hilton?

Kalboz likes this.
  21. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    thats great news glad it worked out

iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  22. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bienvenuto a Bordo! Sono il suo capitan, Signore Schettino! Vado a bordo!

Kalboz and daemon14 like this.
  23. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since there's ongoing buzz about a possible return of the Cap One Venture match promo (a 3-pull), you may want to pencil that in as well.

ChicagoEric and Kalboz like this.
  24. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are the second person I've heard mention this. Just curious - where do people hear this 'buzz?' Don't want you to betray state secrets, but curious as I too am planning my next round of cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  25. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    TOBB has had posts since last month mention the return of this promo. Personally, I think three credit pulls is way too much...

Kalboz likes this.