Planning first TATL with small child

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone...

Need some suggestions as I'm planning our first "long range" trip (NYC to Europe) next year now that we have a baby -- and yeah I can hear you groaning about "the baby onboard", but I'm not taking a zeppelin or a boat so live with it. I'll let you know the flight number once I book in case you wanna avoid it... :)

Either way, it would be me + wife + baby -- ~18 months at the time (end of January). We're planning *A business/first, so I'm worried about seat configurations to avoid, or perhaps suggestions on specific metal/carriers that I should actually try to look for.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be doing the same trip in a few weeks with a soon to be born newborn (and sorry from me too, travellers!) .. so I'll be watching this thread....

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The research I've done so far seems to rule out US Airways altogether. They seem to run A300-200s that way and they were changed to have 4 2x2 rows of those funky angled Envoy seats, which are really not convenient for people traveling with kids. Seems better to grab an exit row far back in economy if you're gonna fly with them.

UA doesn't seem to have any funky seats that I could see, but I really just started looking.

4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this paid or redemption? I'd be tempted to shoot for SQ on JFK-FRA; or (actually, I like this better) CO's morning departure from EWR to LHR. I suspect that any anti-baby sentiments would be muted since nobody would be missing much sleep on the day flight.

If you haven't used the morning LHR departures from the east coast, you might be surprised how easy it makes the next day (and the day after.) By the time you land in London, go through I&C and get to a hotel near LHR, it's close enough to "normal" bedtime that it's easy to sleep, and the next morning you feel like a human being.

Global Explat likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm eyeballing both paid and/or award at this point... I'm not married to either really, although I do have "a few" US Airways miles that I probably won't be using for anything else, so I might decide to use them for this.

Thanks for the suggestion on the day flights... I was almost set on an overnight because that way he "should" be asleep for the duration and wouldn't make too much of a fuss, and a day flight would require "entertaining" :)

But I'll consider it now that you've mentioned it. Thanks