Planning first award trip - NYC <> UAE options?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by live8, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. live8

live8 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello Milepoint!

I'm new to the miles/points game and am absorbing all this new info as best as I can, so please bear with me.

I recently decided to start accumulating and planning for a UAE trip (NYC <> DXB &/or AUH - ideally would like to hit both cities), using points for business or first class, for sometime in spring 2015.
    I signed up for a consumer CSP and a 50k targeted PRG card and am working on minimum spends which I figure will leave me with at least 95k total to start.

My main issue is knowing which airline to (eventually) pile my points into for the best reward flight redemption to UAE. I initially thought BA and booking through OW on Air Berlin would be a decent bet to AUH, particularly since I can transfer both reward point systems to BA, but I’m looking for second opinions. What are the best routes for upper class reward travel to UAE from the States?

Would greatly appreciate any and all advice you have to offer.
    :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We are flying to Abu Dhabi in January on Etihad. We used AA miles and had no problem finding availability for the suites. Etihad also has free limo service to and from Dubai if you are flying in suites.

live8 likes this.
  3. live8

live8 Active Member

Status Points:
    Was this bookable via AA's site or did you find the availability elsewhere and call it in? And what did the total point count come to? I know I should shoot for somewhere in the neighborhood of 150,000...

Good to know re: the limo service and that's exactly the kind of (inclusive) thing I'm looking for between cities.
    Thanks for the reply!

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I called AA customer service to book it. I used 205,000 points per person, but I also included flying to Maldives and back on Etihad, so I think it is only 180,000 to Abu Dhabi in suites.