Planning Europe 2018 trip AA miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LA_new_guy, Sep 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. LA_new_guy

LA_new_guy New Member

Status Points:
    So for our 25th wedding anniversary I have to take my wife to Europe for our first time. I had a US Airways account and card that switched to AA. I have been piling up the miles mostly from CC use. So planning for a trip in 2018, preffer spring. But open on dates want to stay 3-5 weeks and see as much as possible without rushing. For sure the big spots like Paris and Italy, maybe france and Germany.

This is what I have so far. About 130k miles. No status. How many miles should I try and have by then to try and get at least business class? Should I look at adding another AA credit card for the bonus miles?

Would be starting out of LAX, how about using layovers for sightseeing?

Can someone point me in the right direction for research? Sample itineraries? Ive never used award travel before.

Thanks,
    George

newbluesea and misman like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No advice for you, but welcome to IF. You'll find lots of friendly people here, and someone will point you in the right direction (hello @Wandering Aramean.)

Great to be planning this far ahead!

LA_new_guy and newbluesea like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using AA points you don't get any stopovers as part of the awards and even if you did there are not many options with partners in Europe. My suggestion is to focus on getting yourself to and from Europe (hopefully on AA metal to save on the fees) and then deal with getting around within the continent through other means. A 3-5 week trip means plenty of time to see stuff but you still cannot see everything. For me that long a trip would probably mean 6-8 cities but I don't like to stay put very long. If you want to be more immersed in a location then you could spend longer.

But something like AA LAX-LHR, train to Paris, LCC or train to Barcelona, plane to Rome, train to Venice and then flying back could work. On that return it might mean a separate flight out of Venice to an AA gateway. Business is 115k r/t each so you're definitely going to need more miles. If you can meet the minimum spend numbers I'd be looking for a card or two right now.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA to LHR will have the best award availability.
    After that purchase a multi country flexible Rail Europe pass.
    Gives much more flexibility wastes less time trekking to airports since the train stations are in the city centres and If you get a First Class pass (or even 2nd class ) its way more comfortable than flying and less subject to weather, irregular ops and even strikes.
    Plus you get to see the countryside through your window.:)

LA_new_guy and misman like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only useful if spending a LOT of time on trains IME. And not the high speed ones necessarily. I like trains for getting around Europe but London to Rome by train is an ordeal, not a pleasant ride. If you break up the trip in Paris, Geneva and Milan it gets better but that is still 4ish hours each hop rather than hour long flights. And if you want to include Spain in the trip then forget it.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. PhoebeMalroy

PhoebeMalroy Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info guys. Have a nice day!