Planning an RTW from SYD via BEY and ORD

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by infoworks, Apr 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at an RTW originating in SYD, likely early June via Beirut and Chicago for work. *A or OW is OK in J most likely but possibly F. Preferences would be SQ, QF or CX. Any ideas?

Chimpy likes this.
  2. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI; people on MP are very generous and will help you out but first you need to do a litle homework yourself.
    What have you come up with so far?

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with wanderwoman on this, we're more then happy to talk about the +/- of different stops, hotels to consider, possible routes, etc. We'd need a little more information though. Do you only want to stop in ORD and BEY? Which direction do you want to go?

SQ, QF, and CX are amazing airlines, but none of them will take you RTW. You'll need to consider which alliance options work best for you....

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Infoworks, here is one possibility for *A:
    SYD
    xSIN SQ
    xFRA SQ
    BEY LH
    FRA LH
    ORD LH
    NRT NH
    SIN SQ
    SYD SQ

It's about 31668 miles. FRA-BEY-FRA in C only. The rest is in F. You still have a room for additional side trips.

But here is what I would do since I prefer SQ for transpac.

SYD
    xSIN SQ
    xFRA SQ
    BEY LH
    FRA LH
    ORD LH
    SFO UA (take 3-class international configuration)
    LAX UA
    NRT SQ
    SIN SQ
    SYD SQ

I believe SQ 11 LAX-NRT-SIN is still 77W in June. Otherwise you have to take SQ15 SFO-ICN-SIN or SQ1 SFO-HKG-SIN.
    I would consider as well FRA to any city in the US for LH A380. :)

Chimpy and infoworks like this.
  5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ does offer their own RTW product - http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/local/US/promotions/rtw.jsp.

My understanding based on a MP thread (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/rtw-with-a.887/) is that the SQ RTW is really restrictive and will only book non-SQ metal only when it has to. But for US $6700 list for F it certainly is an enticing option if that is a/i (which I doubt).

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well I said none of the carriers can take the OP RTW on their own metal and suggested he select the alliance he wanted based on the route he desires. Most airlines in an alliance can sell you a RTW ticket, it's not unique to SQ. You seem to have misunderstood the intent of my message ;)

7. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pre-empting... and I appreciate everyone's ideas
    Past experience has shown SQ prices to be good, sometimes if limited to their metal.
    I was looking at something like

SYD
    SIN
    AUH
    BEY
    LHR but FRA works
    ORD have also flown ORD-LAX-ICN-SIN
    NRT
    SIN
    SYD

8. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Oneworld, something like SYD CX/QF HKG RJ AMM RJ BEY RJ AMM RJ AUH BA LHR BA ORD JL NRT QF SYD would work.

infoworks likes this.
  9. BEYFlyer
    Original Member

BEYFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure how AUH - BEY will work out on *A as I am not aware of any direct flights between those two destinations (unless you end up flying AUH - BEY via somewhere else like IST). Please be aware that LH business class from FRA - BEY (and back) is basically economy seating with the middle seat left empty. A very tiring trip due to timing (unless you manage to catch one of the morning flights). Good luck :)

infoworks likes this.
  10. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    infoworks, since you want AUH in your itinerary, it looks like SIN-AUH is only on SQ A333 (2-class only). Thus CRTW is better instead of FRTW.

As BEYflyer said, from AUH to BEY you have an option on TK via IST.
    If you do SYD-SIN-AUH-IST-BEY-FRA-ORD-NRT-SIN-SYD, you will reach 29670 miles total. Kind of waste of $$$ since it's charged for RTW2.
    Another option would be to do AUH-CAI-BEY on MS. The total mileage based on great circle map is about 29009. From my previous experience, this miles from gcm when I did the real booking it would go under 29000 (or perhaps SQ was kindly enough to waive the extra miles I had over 29000. :) )

For Europe to ORD, of course it depends on what kind of C seat you prefer. Flat? Or slanted flat? FRA-ORD on LH will be slanted-flat. LHR-ORD on UA, I believe is the newer UA seat, which is flat. FRA-ORD on UA, I think one of the flight has the newer flat one. Again, I don't know which FFP you are in, but if you can do upgrade on LH, I would go for LH.

ORD-NRT, the options are NH or UA. It would be interesting to do NH C.

Cheers.

infoworks likes this.
  11. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the helpful ideas. I have only had a few trans-atlantic segments over all these years, but lots of trans-pacific (time available, stupidity and more I'm sure), so they are really helpful. AUH isn't a must-do, was thinking more of maxing out SQ flights/code shares than anything else.

12. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't First Class in SIN-AUH flight with SQ (A333)