Planning Ahead and Need advice about Kauai Hotels/Resorts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by clscholes, Aug 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are going to go on a trip either late 2014/early 2015 to Kauai, and I was curious about what places would be the best to stay at. The reason I would like to know is so I can get a head start on points/status so that the majority of it can be paid with award value. If you have been there, heard about an awesome hotel/resort, or know THE brand to go with there...thank you in advance for your help!

rodeojones and miles and smiles like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a timeshare, or would suggest vacation rentals in lieu of hotels? We are very excited about Kauai.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used vrbo.com a lot. My friends, who are going to Kauai in October, just found a place on airbnb.com
    How long are you going for? Do you have a preference for which side(s) of the island you want to stay in?

5. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two great hotels on Kauai where you can use points: St. Regis Princeville (north shore) and Grand Hyatt Kauai (south shore). North shore has amazing scenery but a lot more rain. South shore has better weather (less rain/more sun) and is closer to restaurants, etc. We've enjoyed both very much but if I had to pick one, it would be the Grand Hyatt.

6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! Is the St. Regis Starwood, Marriott, or other?

7. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I looked at St. Regis as well as Grand Hyatt...I'm also curious about the Marriott brand resorts there...are they good quality? I may be able to pay for them completely in points.

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    MommyPoints on BoardingArea has had several posts in the last month on her recent trip to Kauai...

9. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from Kauai last week and loved it. Paid for four people to fly from Seattle on AS using Chase UR points to transfer to BA. Wife and I both got the Chase Hyatt card which qualified us for 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu. For final three nights we stayed in a condo found on VRBO in Kapaa.

LOVED the Grand Hyatt. Beautiful resort with excellent service. We also loved staying in the condo since we got a better feel for the community.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions...