Planning a trip to Bora Bora

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by spirith20, May 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. spirith20

spirith20 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Bora Bora in two year (May/June) for my birthday. What is the best way to secure airline tickets from LAX to PPT using award miles? Does anyone have any experience doing this successfully? Is the St Regis worth the money? Any additional advice?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta partners with air France and air Tahiti Nui, the 2 airlines you can redeem on. American partners with Tahiti Nui only, but I believe has a cheaper chart. Book early if your dates are set, if you are flexible closer in can work also. Tahiti Nui still has at least one plane with outdated cabin, air France is nicer product up front. Can't compare coach products.

In 2 years everything could change...how many people are you brnging?

As of a year ago, TN pretty consistently released a couple of biz seats and say 4 econ seats when the schedule loaded 330+ days out. AF had great coach availability but no biz. Some af biz opens in closer, but less predictably. For tahiti Nui use expertflyer to search, and if using delta miles expect to need to call at least 2-3 times before you get an agent who knows how to book TN. They will often say there is no space but do not believe them as long as itbshiws in expertflyer.

3. spirith20

spirith20 Active Member

Status Points:
    At this point I would be booking for two people; however, there will probably be at least 3-5 others making the trip with us but they will be booking on their own. Does American Airlines not partner with Air Tahiti for business class seats?I REALLY want to use points for the airfare if at all possible. I agree, in two years who knows but my plan is to book my flights 321-330 days out so that lands me around April of 2015. What do you think of Award Nexus? Thanks for all of your help, it's truly appreciated.

4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, my recommendation would be for an overnight flight from the west coast. Worked for us. We usually flew out of LA.

5. Horhay25

Horhay25 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use AA miles on Tahiti Nui. It's a great airline. Upgrade to Business. I'd stay at the Four Seasons. Splurge and get an over-water bungalow.

gconnery and OceanBreezes like this.
  6. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the St Regis, the vast majority of the rooms are overwater bungalos. The only difference in class is the amount of privacy you have from the next bungalo over. There are a few villas, but those are more expensive. I don't think any of the high-end resorts are better than any of the others. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the St. Regis or go to the Four Seasons or the Le Meridien if there's a next time. I think I chose the St. Regis over the Le Meridien last time because of construction going on at the LM.

Also, remember that on top of the flight and hotel costs, the food and transportation costs are astronomical. Air Tahiti Nui get you to PPT, and then you have to fly Air Tahiti (no relation) for the PPT-BOR segment that's about $500 pp rt and if I remember correctly, I then had to pay $110pp for the hotel shuttle.

So make sure you budget for those unusual costs.

gconnery likes this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. As BackSlash said, you'll fly in to PPT on the main Island. Its interesting for maybe a few hours walking around the city but you mostly don't want to stay here. Get a room near the airport if you have the money and need a half day before you fly back or whatever, but otherwise don't stay here. Depending on the hotel and the island you're going to, you may take a boat from the airport to your hotel on the island. I know we did for the Hotel Bora Bora on our first trip. I love the island of Bora Bora and there are lots of choices there. Stay on the main island or at one of the hotels on a motu (island) nearby and take the shuttle boat in to the main island when you feel like it. Like he says, spring for an overwater bungalow. If you can't do it for the whole trip, do it for some of it. You may be able to reserve a regular room via points and then negotiate an upgrade with the hotel after the fact for a lot less cash than you might think.

Look at all the islands. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Moorea. But have enjoyed Huahine and especially Roratonga. All depends what you're looking for. Like BackSlash said, be prepared for lots of money to change hands for anything. Drinks, dinner, etc. If you've got status with the hotel and can get free breakfast/snacks or whatever that could be a big deal. And hey, leave the hotel and hit up the local restaurants. Its worth it, and will save you a lot of money.

8. mathew5

mathew5 New Member

Status Points:
    I think Tahiti Nui is the best option among the others. As many of the People has replied to choose this. I think you should check out the details for yourself.

9. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's also worth mentioning, that on my trip I took the weekly Hawaiian Airlines HNL-PPT which didn't land in time to make the connection to BOR on the same day. I stayed at the Intercontinental and was quite happy there. It was a short taxi ride from the airport, but far enough away that I didn't notice air traffic noise. It's not Bora Bora, but it's very nice for a general south pacific feeling and helped to keep costs down since it's relatively cheaper than the Bora Bora stay.

I also signed up for IC Ambassador for $150 to get the 2-for-1 weekend coupon to bring the average nightly cost down further.

gconnery likes this.