Planning a trip next year - Need advice

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Rakuten06, May 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking about planning a trip which I will be in Washington, DC because of university and I'm thinking about traveling to France (Burgundy region) for next year, either March (Spring Break) or the summer (maybe July because of Tour de France).

Which airline program do you think will be better for me to join so I can use that to book a round-trip flight from Washington, DC to Paris, France to get points?

I was planning to rent a house in the Burgundy region for a week and a car to drive from Paris to the Burgundy region.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the AA and other award charts,

We took the train, out of Paris, and stayed in a hotel..

Might find 35,000 super saver miles, also check US Air,

3. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but the problem is... I only have two programs and that are Amtrak and IHG. I'm more like a beginner into the world of miles and points :p

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about buying a ticket with cash to begin points earnings, and want a recommendation of what airline program to go with? If so, my opinion is, you need to be looking at how you can earn points/miles to cover the cost of your ticket. You would certainly have enough time to build enough points for one coach ticket at least.

5. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think it would be a ideal starting point for me to buy a coach ticket to Paris with cash to start collecting points in the airline program to kick my travel-around off then :)

6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are only looking at actual flying as a means to earn miles to fly then you are short changing yourself significantly and missing the big picture. If you have decent credit you could easily "pay" for your coach ticket with points/miles. Planning now you could easily earn enough points for a coach ticket for next year. Save your $$!

7. mmargel

mmargel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would seriously agree with TravelBear. It is becoming more difficult to earn miles just from flying (ie Delta's 2015 program). The AA credit card at a net cost of $250 gets you 100,000 miles. Many other possibilities and a little planning will help with your overall travel plans

8. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok, then let me rephrase this then... which airline is the best and/or cheapest to fly to France? I have to put this a reminder... Last time I flew was Spring Break 2009 when I flew to Costa Rica, and after that I relied on trains for transportation from Washington, DC to home and sometimes I did use trains for a Spring Break trip up north to Montreal once too.

So if I decided to fly to France, then I am looking to join an airline program to help accumulate points for a possibility of covering a coach ticket to go to France and back too.

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    People here can help but your query is unclear IMO - flying to Paris in March is cheaper than July (high season) as for airline if you want cheapest then look online now to research options (what are prices for July and March now pricing out at?) - too many factors to give you answer you want (cheapest option) as fares change by the minute it seems. You might want to do connections to save money while others fly direct and without an idea of budget what really is cheapest by comparison?

As for points if you want to earn points for future travel flying is not the way to do it -find a program that has airlines you will fly and layer with a credit card (or two, three, etc) only if you can afford to play game (no debt, good credit, pay off balances, etc) to build balances with bonus for future award ticket

As you are starting out there really isn't a one size fits all answer. Since price is important start there, earn points with that carrier and go from there.

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that you don't need to credit your miles to the same airline that you're flying. If you don't yet favor any airline alliance, consider crediting your flight miles to Alaska Airlines. They have quite a few partners for earning and redeeming miles. But it doesn't cost anything to join several programs, so might as well get that out of the way. Most likely you'll come across a good deal for your route unexpectedly, perhaps during the winter. So get the tix first, then add your frequent flyer info later -- you don't have to do it at the same time.

Rakuten06 likes this.
  11. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines looked like a good deal. For example, Washington, DC to Paris award miles:

[​IMG]

Like you said, it won't hurt to join the programs like I did with Amtrak Guest Rewards and IHG Hotel Rewards, but I think Alaska Airlines looks like a good option to join too

MX likes this.