Planned changes to UA+CO operations at SEA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Biggles209, Jul 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in the RCC at SEA yesterday, and asked what the plans were for merging the UA and CO operations at SEA. The response was that the CO check-in desk will be moved to the UA position at the north end of the terminal in September this year, but the gates will stay as-is until 2013.

At some point in 2013 the whole operation will shift to the south end. All the gates will be re-located to Concourse A to join the US operation there. This will place them close to the South Satellite, which houses Asiana and Lufthansa, and hosts the UA international arrivals.

I flew out of Concourse A a couple of years ago, and as I recall, it was much nicer than either of the current gate areas.

2. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind taking the tram out to the North Satellite, but UA can't get out of that dungeon they call an RCC fast enough. I never go there anymore even though SEA is my home airport.

Rumor has it that when UA moves, AS will completely take over N, and they're building a new BR above the current building -- they wouldn't have the awful RCC space.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lack of a window outside certainly makes the Seattle club unique, but is it really that bad? I mean, when I go into a club, I usually do one of four things: 1) Plug in the computer and do various tasks, 2) Get some snacks and/or drinks, 3) Use the bathroom, 4) Seek out a quiet place to make a phone call.

Does having a view of the landing gear of an A320 (like at the lower level of the a Dulles Club), or the side of a 747 (at at a Chicago RCC) all that different? Yes, there are legitimate arguments about natural light, but are we really supposed to be in the club long enough to really worry about that?

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder where UA check-in is going to go when they move to the A gates. Doesn't seem like there is an obvious place to move it that is anywhere near south security checkpoint.

Odds are that UA will have furthest A gates, where Delta used to be, because I think those are the widebody gates. It is a long walk from the security checkpoint. I haven't cleared security there more than a few times. Hope that the elite bypass works there.

CO has been operating an evening EWR arrival and a red-eye ORD departure from the N gates - probably in an effort to have all ORD passengers in the same area as there is also a UA departure scheduled within about 20 minutes. Though it is suboptimal since CO PC is open while UA RCC is closed at that time.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    A newer building but...

This is my biggest concern, as the only two times I flew out of Terminal A (on DL and VX) I had quite a walk from check-in to the gate. Even with the moving walkways, there don't seem to be enough of them. I quite like the N Satellite where the gates are close together in a ring and all the facilities are in the center.

Seacarl likes this.
  6. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The full set of gate moves seem to be:

AS D to N
    UA N to A
    CO B to A
    FL A to B (with WN)
    AA A to D
    B6 A to D
    F9 A to D
    HA A to S
    VX A to B

I can see AA, B6, and F9 using the old UA check-in at the north end. FL will consolidate with WN, and someone will move into the old CO space. I'm not sure where this will leave the holes for UA to fill!

It's also going to be a long hike from the end of A to the light rail station

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA only has about 5 mainline gates at N. AS is growing. I don't see enough D gates to serve all of AA, B6 and F9, so I expect at least some of them to remain in A. If HA & AA vacate, that's probably enough gates for all of UA & CO. AA wasn't using their gates intensively anyway.

The increased distance to the light rail station is definitely a negative, as is distance from the AS Boardroom for the hours when RCC is closed (or if you want soup or pancakes)

8. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If SEA weren't my home port, I would grudgingly use the RCC there for the purposes you mention. But since SEA is my home port, I've learned to adjust my schedule so that I arrive at the airport, get through security, take the tram to the N gates, grab something at Starbucks, and walk up to the gate within 5 minutes of boarding beginning. Hence no need for the club.

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Trust me, I'm not trying to drag you into the RCC when I say this, but that is a real risky move given how lines and wait times can be in Seattle. I would rather spend 30 minutes in that "dungeon" rather than risk missing a flight when loads are at high levels already (not to mention upgrades too).

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank goodness designers/architects/builders of airline clubs around the world don't take advice from you when they planned/plan construction of lounges. Otherwise we would all end up with clubs that have no views. :rolleyes:

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the official plan of record from the Port of Seattle's website:

http://www.portseattle.org/downloads...24_6b_supp.pdf

You may not think there's enough space for AA, B6 and F9 in D, but the people who run the airport do.

seaflyguy likes this.
  12. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks for digging that up. I spent a couple of hours looking for something official, and failed dismally!

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    B6 has 3 departures/day? F9 has 4? The Port can stick them wherever they feel like in 1 or 2 common use gates. I wouldn't be surprised if that presentation was as much a strawman, and the plan on where they are located changes as the date gets closer. It could well depend on how many flights SW, AS, UA are operating out of SEA a year from now. We know the carriers revise those plans on a shorter timeline. Or even whether F9 is still operating as an independent (or B6 for that matter).

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The airport is woefully outdated. If you have a better idea for where The Port of Seattle and United could put the Red Carpet Club right now, I'm sure they would love to hear from you and other experts on that. I'm sure adding an emoticon would enhance your point.

15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you should go back and re-read what I posted.

I never said I had a great idea for club design at SEA (or anywhere else) nor was I an expert. What I did say is that I was glad the professionals that do design and build clubs don't take your advice about not caring if a club has a view. And whenever possible, they do try to design clubs so that they offer nice views.

16. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still not sure why HA needs to leave the A gates again - especially to the South Satellite. South Satellite on any morning is already overcrowded to the point that several DL mainline flights are moved to A or B terminals.

HA should move back to "B" where it came from. With CO moving over to "A" that leaves even more gates at "B" for HA.

-RM

17. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm an MVPG and 1K based in SEA. I'm pretty comfortable with my knowledge of the airport and what does and doesn't work there. I wouldn't necessarily recommend my strategy to others, but it works for me.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I'm not challenging any personal experience or anything. My point being that the TSA is pretty good at mucking things up, even with people who have elite line access.

Safe travels.

seaflyguy likes this.
  19. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, following up on the discussion about daylight in clubs as noted above, a few minutes with Google Scholar revealed the following paper:

Daylighting Impacts on Human Performance in School, Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society, Summer 2002

A small but more carefully controlled study in Sweden found that observed behavior and circadian hormone levels of elementary students in classrooms with daylight stayed closer to expected norms than those in classrooms with only fluorescent sources. The Swedish researchers concluded that windowless classrooms should be avoided. In the United States, a North Carolina architectural firm has received attention for reporting that student test score performance improved in their daylit schools compared to neighboring non-daylit schools. While these studies all have methodological limitations, they have suggested a consistently positive effect for the presence of daylight on student performance.​

...​

Conclusion

We have performed a statistical analysis relating standardized math and reading test results of a large population of students to the lighting conditions of their classroom with controls for other factors such as teacher experience and the demographic characteristics of each school. We were able to identify statistically significant effects of daylighting on human behavior, as evidenced in the standardized test scores for elementary school students. These studies provide a useful gauge of the potential magnitude of such effects.

The consistency of the findings across the three school districts, and in a separate study of another building type, a retail chain, strongly suggest there is indeed an important daylighting effect associated with increased window or skylight areas in buildings.​

So daylight isn't just a nice-to-have; it has a positive effect on human performance measured by multiple studies across multiple countries and continents.

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agent at the RCC told me this morning that UA-CO will be consolidating check-in at UA's current counter position at the north end of the terminal, and continuing to operate flights out of both N and B. She said the move to A is being delayed (not sure how long or why). She said CO would move to A before UA does.

21. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to keep in mind is the incredibly high rent on the 'A' Concourse. That is the single, biggest reason Delta and American closed their clubs. The entire 'A' structure and the new International check-in facilities and baggage cost over $1 billion...believe it or not.

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the new rental car garage is over $500 million - and will be less convenient.

How can the Port of Seattle be this wasteful?

Scottrick likes this.
  23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're masters at that.

For laughs, go to Avis (or any other rental car company) and try to rent a car from SEA. Using the same criteria, change the pick-up location to downtown Seattle, and see what the difference in taxes and surcharges are.

24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying PHX-PDX-SEA-ANC in 2 hours, US to UA to CO...so this should be interesting because all the gates aren't close to each other and I have a tight connection...

25. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ryan, I made a tight 30 minute connection CO-UA...definitely do-able.

Flyer1976 and Scottrick like this.