Planes with retrofitted Y cabins?

Discussion in 'Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus' started by harvson3, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello friendly forum,

We're taking an award trip to BKK through Europe in Y (I know, I know,...).

I noticed only recently that some of the TG fleet don't have seat-back IFE, or are in the process of being retrofitted/updated. These are mainly the 744s and regular 772s, which are being updated in 2011-2012.

Is there any way to track which aircraft (by registration or serial number) have already been updated/retrofitted in Y?

In lieu of rolling the dice, I have been aiming to switch the routing through OSL to ensure that we're on a 772ER with updated equipment.

PS - Yes, we are dull, dull people who prefer personal TV screens for a 12-hour flight.

Scottrick and yaychemistry like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I remember reading on their website that the retrofitted planes will be deployed on all flights on the BKK-LHR vv and BKK-FRA vv routes. Of course this being TG, a last minute equipment swap is possible :)

miles and smiles and harvson3 like this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same question because I'm actually going to be on OSL-BKK in March 2012. (p.s. how do you find out that the OSL route is a 772ER? The CO-booking says 772, and a dummy booking on TG just says 772/773).

I did some research on the upgrade schedules and it seems that TG should have at least 1 772 updated by the end of 2011 and the other 7 should be completed sometime in 2012, starting in March
    http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/presentations/20111014_THAI_ThaiInvestorForum.pdf

Plus, I totally understand flying in Y. We wanted to do a fun stop-over on our SE Asia trip, so we picked OSL and the only availability we could find was in Y.

4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yaychemistry likes this.
  5. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OSL mainly gets 777-200ERs, but there is a small chance to get TGed here as well.

LHR and FRA should have the 747s which have been retrofitted, but here the chance being TGed are larger.

CDG would also be a safe place for PTVs in economy, since it is served by the 777-300ERs :)

yaychemistry and harvson3 like this.