Plane diverted after row over reclining seat device

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plane diverted after row over reclining seat device

knee+defender+2MP082014.jpg

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really wish seats did not recline.

kwai and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto +1, this would be a solution to many problems while inflight. Maybe equally depends on the length of the flight.

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please don't give the major airlines any non-reclining suggestions. I don't think there'd be many happy travelers on 7+ hour TATL's or even much longer TPAC's if no reclining seats, even in coach, were available. Spirit and Alligient I think have non-recliners. Thankfully, I've no reason to fly them. If you really want the non-reclining seats, go for the rows directly in front of the exit row, although you'd still get reclinees in the row front of you.

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As said, it really depends on the length of the flight, plus the airline of course.

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish people would simply be conscious of the ramifications of their decision to recline. There's little reason to do so on a short flight.

uggboy likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it's their right to do so, even on a short flight that you question? Even if done slowly and with notice to the person behind them that they're about to do so? What ramifications can you offer for someone not to recline a seat that they've either paid for, been moved to or upgraded to, that should remove that person's choice to be comfortable in the seat they're assigned, should he or she want to do so, unless it's in the row in front of the exit row, which usually won't recline anyway?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think those wishing for non-reclining seats are actually talking about the seats in front of them, not necessarily their own. ;)

10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, it seems some people want all their seats to have the ability to recline, except those directly to their front.

WilliamQ likes this.
  11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is your seat and my knees are not physically able to exist in the same space. And trust me, if you insist on reclining your seat we're both going to be very uncomfortable. ;)

Actually some of us can be quite respectful about seat recline. You seem to not care about anyone but yourself.

12. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found on many flights that other passengers will readily request you do some thing that will make them more comfortable, with zero regard for your comfort

if somebody has an issue with my seat reclining, they need to take that up with the airline, not me :eek:

if I am trying to sleep on a flight, should I demand that the passenger seated next to me turn off his TV so it will be easier for me to sleep?

when he of course says no, does that mean that he is being inconsiderate and disrespectful to his fellow passengers?

the airline already has a zillion restrictions on my air ticket, now there will be some unwritten requirement that I need to be concerned about other passengers comfort too :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    bonnerbl, Flyer1976, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fit in the space allocated to you in the cabin you booked, you should book a cabin/seat/airline that affords you more space, not take away space from other people. That applies to tall people as well as to wide people.

If I am sitting in front of you on a short-haul flight, you will unlikely find me reclining my seat (and if I do, I generally recline slowly and carefully). If you ask me politely not to recline for size reasons (vs laptop), I will likely agree.

On a long-haul flight I will most definitely recline. If you interfere with that, I will raise it with the FA. The seats have a recline function for a reason.

bonnerbl, MX, canucklehead and 5 others like this.
  14. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I trust you from what you've implied, and trust that you'll also expect similar from me. Is there something different about your knees then thousands of other people's? Your respectfulness about seat recline obviously didn't include the woman who attempted to recline her seat on the UA flight but couldn't. Would she too have gotten the same response from you had she tried to put her seat back? Says lots about your respect too, doesn't it.

jonspencer and WilliamQ like this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It boils down to what is allowed. It is certainly allowed to recline except during landing and take off. This is for all flights, long or short. However, if one can reach a mutual agreement with the passenger in front, great. But one cannot expect "compliance" and then proceed to label those who do not as inconsiderate and selfish. By this very expectation for one's OWN comfort over the passenger in front is the true selfish and entitled behavior. While I understand the challenges of a tall person in an ever shrinking airplane seat, this does not translate to others having to change their behavior to accommodate your comfort. I am considered tall for an Asian but nothing when compared to folks in the western part of the work. However, in Asia, my legs have problem in the public bus system. Just as one did not choose to be tall, I did not choose to be born asthmatic. To address my own personal condition, I avoid places (restaurants) where smoking is allowed. I do not go into a smoking allowed restaurant and nicely ask others not to smoke because I am asthmatic. For the taller passengers, there are actually options available without expecting others to accommodate you. Exit row seats, economy comfort / plus, premium economy etc where the airline sells you additional leg space and degrees of recline which hammers in the fact that seat recline is part of what one paid for. Using a knee defender just elevates one in the jerk-o-meter and refusing to remove it after the FA intervened, that just tops the chart. Remember, if there is any blame, it is the airlines who configured the seats as such and not the passengers who uses the seats as designed.

16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed. nothing like sitting with your drink and ipad propped up when the seat in front of you slams back.

kwai likes this.
  17. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that economy seating does violence to the North American standards of personal space. We are accustomed to having a fairly large amount of inviolable space around us, and become anxious if a stranger invades it. Try standing about a foot in front of a stranger and watch his or her reaction. In some cultures if you stand three feet away from someone while talking to them, you're being rude; in North America you're rude if you aren't at least three feet away.

In confined spaces like elevators and economy class, the North American norm of personal space cannot be maintained, so we become anxious and instinctively do things to carve out a semblance of personal space. Whether that takes the form of putting on headphones, or spreading out work devices like laptops or what have you, much of the behaviour one observes is in fact an unconscious effort to give the illusion of increased space and thus reduce the stress level. The trouble is that some of these behaviours invade others' personal space or otherwise annoy them, and with their heightened stress levels they react more strongly than they would on the ground where they can maintain the normal zone around them.

blackjack-21, WilliamQ, MX and 2 others like this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she slammed her seat down then indeed I would have ensure that she felt my pain. If she eased her seat back and/or took a gander to ensure there was no hassle then I would have applauded that move.

Your position is one of 'it's my right' whereas mine tries to deal with the situation equitably.

19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this is exactly where the activity should be.

On a long haul the equation is different and not relevant to the situation at hand.

20. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    You continuously defend this woman when neither cretin has any redeemable qualities.

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both passengers are at fault here. First, the rules on United are no Knee defender, the guy was being a jerk for using it. Its also in Economy plus, so there is more leg room than the avg seat.

The woman was at fault for throwing her cup of water at the guy, who does that?????!

Personally, in economy, I usually only recline on longer flights (e.g. transcontinental) or if my back is spasming, but I always look behind me first to see if they are working (and I will defer from reclining). I will ask or mention to them that I am reclining beforehand, never been refused my request. I also try to ease back when reclining as opposed to slam the seat back as far as possible. Sadly, some passengers are led to believe that by purchasing a ticket, they are allowed free reign to do whatever they want! If you are on a planeful of people, a little bit of respect for each other goes a long way to making the flight an enjoyable <ok, maybe tolerable, I am thinking of the front cabin :D> experience. Too bad, neither of these two were taught that.

22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spot on. Either dump the water on his laptop or throw hot coffee at him. Let's do it right people!! ;)

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

bonnerbl, YULtide and timfrost like this.
  23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, well in a purr-fect world.... :D

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rawwwrrrrr!

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  25. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you've brought up the possibility of your making my flight very uncomfortable even before I've reclined, may I respectfully reply to your implied threat. I would of course, respectfully tell you to take your knees, iPad, pink lemonade with it's straw and little umbrella, and any other acoutrements and respectfully shove them into the orifice where the sun don't shine, even the tray table if it fits, which may be entirely possible. Then, because you're probably not a contortionist, I'd very respectfully tell you to work it all out, or in as the case may be, with a sliderule.

Your obvious DISrepect of anyone else's rights to their seat in some degree of comfort while only expounding on your knees shows how much you indeed disrespect other's thoughts and feelings. Yes I care about myself...and others too, do you??? Or is it just YOUR KNEES, iPad, and tray table that you feel everyone else should respect, with none shown by you to them in return?

If I've offended anyone else in this thread by these comments, you have my sincere apologies. To the person to whom the above is a reply to what I perceive to be a threat to my comfort and safety....I hope you respectfully get my drift.

Now I've got to answer Garp74's polite request in the other thread, so you'll please excuse me for a bit.