Plan to split California into six states gains ground

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MSYgirl, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Los Angeles (United States) (AFP) - A plan to divide California into six separate US states is closer to making it on to a November ballot, with organizers gaining approval to collect signatures.

The seemingly far-fetched initiative, sponsored by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper, claims "political representation of California's diverse population and economies has rendered the state nearly ungovernable."

And on Tuesday, the California Secretary of State's office gave the movement a boost, saying that proponents "may begin collecting petition signatures."

At least 807,615 voters -- representing eight percent of the total ballots cast for governor in the 2010 election -- will need to sign the petition by July 18 to make it on to the ballot.

The proposal aims to split the state -- America's most populous with around 38 million inhabitants -- into "six smaller state governments, while preserving the historical boundaries of the various counties, cities and towns."

2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that would make it closer to Pres. Obama's comment about 57 states.

satman40 likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With what California is paying their Government Retires I would want to limit my liabilities and protect my assets.

Cop and FF, top brass pensions are out of sight, but they are in many cities,

Guess that is why they have 3 jobs after they retire, hard to make it on 300k a year.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obo has a change plan for a long time,