Places to Travel After Bora Bora on Honeymoon??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jpripcord, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my [soon to be] wife and I planned on doing Moorea and Bora Bora for our honeymoon in June.

While this sounds like a great break from the wedding madness, I this it's just too much beach time for us. She is somewhat fair skinned, and I love hanging on the beach for a few days in a row (maybe 4 or 5 max), but I worried we're just going to be bored (lack of nightlife, and how many days in a row can I really sit at a pool/villa?). Great 1st class problems...I know

Anyway, i'm trying to think of a great region/country to visit before or after Bora Bora (Spending 5-6 days in Bora Bora), and 6-7 days in another country (or two).

A month ago we did Australia, so that's off the table, and a year ago we did SE Asia, so we prob won't be doing that again.

I was thinking of maybe doing the NYC > LAX > PPT > BOB > PPT > IPC > LIM (machu picchu) > NYC

But i'm having a hard time finding the LAN flight from PPT to IPC (need to do some research to see if this is still operational).

I just thought of bringing up this idea today, and she was actually pretty receptive, but I wanted to get the opinion of other MPers too.

Advice/Thoughts/Criticism of what we can do other than Bora Bora all welcome. The only real stipulation is that we only have 2 weeks, and are still trying to do BOB for 5 days, so we need to build that into our plans.

Thanks in advance.

-JP

marcwint55 and viguera like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first thought is that it's too much time in the air/airport and not enough time at destinations. I spent five days in Cusco, the sacred valley and Machu Picchu, and I wouldn't have wanted to rush through it any faster.

Machu Picchu requires another flight from Lima to Cusco.

marcwint55 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...That was more of just another thought/option i wanted to throw out there.

I'm not tied to it at all, in fact, the reason I came here was to hear what others think might be good instead

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you don't want to do Australia, would New Zealand be an alternative?

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can say that I just got back from my honeymoon in New Zealand and my wife and I are already planning another trip. If you like being outdoors, it is beyond beautiful and full of activities. We sea kayaked, mountain biked, hiked, jet boated, did some wine tasting, etc. It was spectacular.

There's also Bali and the Cook Islands of course, but those are really more of the same beach-y type destinations.

FlyingFree and marcwint55 like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not head East and waste a couple of days across Europe on the way there?

I'm with the earlier comments... you're looking at quite a bit of time spent at the airport and in the air, so you might be stuck with only 3 or 4 "full" days left to "waste" so to speak.

marcwint55 and boondr like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A few things to note on your proposed itinerary with regards to Oneworld info.....

LA operates the PPT-IPC flight only on Tuesdays. You should keep in mind that award space on PPT-IPC-SCL is not always that easy to secure, particuarly since PPT-IPC is only operated once a week.

I wrote your route with SCL instead of LIM because LA's IPC-LIM route is now a seasonal flight that does not operate from March 3 - Oct 30.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. :)

8. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'm going to completely scrap the Machu Piccu idea, but am still curious to hear anyone's suggestion of a good itinerary before or after Bora Bora.

Hawaii could be an option, but we've done that and I would rather do something "new" (again...great problems to have)

Any ideas of cool places to go before/after PPT?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it might help if we knew whether you were paying for these flights or if you are using miles for an award, and if using an award which miles you're using.

Also, do you have a preference on which alliance/airline you fly on? Bora Bora has a fairly limited number of easy onward options compared to say, CDG. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we're using AA miles for the flights. I also have a ton of UR points, so Star Alliance is possible too.

My new idea is:

JFK > HND; NRT > PPT; PPT > BOB; BOB > PPT > LAX > JFK

3-4 days in Tokyo, 3/4 days each in Moorea/Bora Bora

1st Class (albeit AA metal) to Tokyo, Business Class (ATN) to PPT, and Coach home to NYC

I think that gives us a little city action, and enough time on the islands, and not too much time on airplanes (the NRT > PPT is an overnight flight, so we really don't miss too much.

Thoughts?

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you taking AA metal JFK-HND because that's the only flight available on your date? I'd much prefer JL's F over AA's F on that route.

If you want to try a unique destination from PPT, you can always consider the Air Calin (SB) flight from PPT to Noumea (NOU) on Wednesdays. It's a unique airline and a destination some might not consider. Not really a big city experience like Tokyo though. And you'd have to pay cash for that flight. Just an option! :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also much prefer the JL F seats over AA. I was about to start looking into their award availability on my travel dates. What's the best/easiest way to search for it? I have expertflyer, but no go there and I dont think Qantas tracks it either.

Thanks for the advice by the way.

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The AA and QF sights are not going to show you JL inventory. BA's site works for JL awards.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    They actually have good award inventory in their first class suites..only problem is the flight leaves at 1:15 PM, which is too early for us to do on the sunday after the wedding (we have a brunch with our out of town guests), and that means we'd lose a full day in Tokyo compared to taking the AA flight

I'm pretty torn actually, JL F gives us 2 full days plus a morning and an evening, but AA F gives us 3 full days plus a morning. I think it's hard to give up a full day of our honeymoon just to travel on nicer metal

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

16. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest a different spin and look at Paul Gauguin cruise which can give you the relaxing vacation with water sports, visiting different islands as well to avoid boredom. being fair skin myself, cruises have worked out well for me vs the beach days. You could do the over water room at resort pre/post cruise.
    am helping a friend plan her honeymoon same area and time. Like you she wanted to hit other places like IPC which I visited last year but you need 3-4 days there and with seasonal flights its tricky.
    I loved my time in New Zealand South Island and would go back in a heartbeat
    Congrats on the wedding, the honeymoon sounds fabulous no matter where you go

17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to consider is the weather. Since you're traveling in June, you should encounter pretty good weather in the Northern Hemisphere but might want to avoid certain places in the Southern Hemisphere. I know that when I plan vacations with multiple destinations, I try not to venture to places with drastically different climates so that I don't have to pack and haul both cold and warm weather clothes.

Another thing I like to do is mix it up between the city and the country/beach. Thus, I think Tokyo is a good stop but you might want to consider Hong Kong w/ Macau, Seoul or Taipei. I really enjoy Shanghai and Beijing as well but you might need a visa for those if you stay any longer than 48/72 hrs respectively.

sobore likes this.
  18. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to update everyone on my plan as of now:

Goal is to leave Monday on the JL flight in first class from JFK > NRT, spend Tuesday afternoon through Saturday morning in Tokyo, then fly business class on TN from NRT > PPT, spend 3 days in Moorea (Hilton) the 3 days in Bora Bora (Intercontinental). We'll fly home BOB > PPT > LAX > JFK that Saturday morning.

My only issue now is finding a JL flight from JFK/BOS/ORD/LAX/YUL > NRT with first class award seats open.

Thanks for all the help everyone

marcwint55 likes this.
  19. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    don't miss the fish market in Tokyo as it will be closing down and moving soon.

sobore likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your trip!

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that JL's BOS-NRT flight has no F cabin.

Also, JL does not fly YUL-NRT. Do you mean YVR? If you are looking at YVR, this flight also does not feature an F cabin.

Don't forget SFO-HND as an option and the new SAN-NRT flight. (but again, no F class on either).

If you're looking for F to NRT on AA miles, you have JL (ORD, LAX, JFK) or AA (DFW, ORD, LAX).

BTW, have you considered Malaysia Airlines from LAX-NRT? They'll be a Oneworld member by the time your flight happens.

jpripcord likes this.
  22. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is actually really helpful/interesting advice. I'm till trying to work the flights out, as I dont have the perfect itinerary yet.

Ideally I find F space from NYC to NRT at night on 6/9, or anytime on 6/10.

So far I've found Z space from JFK > HND on AA, but I'd much rather fly JL (or even Malaysia Airlines, which I hadn't thought of).

What exactly do you mean by "
    Am I confused that AA has F space on JFK-HND?

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, you just seemed like you were trying to avoid the HND flight on AA, so I was listing out the F options on AA miles to NRT only. JFK-HND does offer F space, but you already knew that . ;)

24. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, well i have a JFK>NRT (JL) flight in F on hold for a date a few weeks prior to my planned departure.

The guy who put the ticket on hold for me said that if I were to change the award from JFK>NRT to JFK>HND, there would be a $150 change fee per person

He did say the best move if I had to do that would be to actually have the ticket canceled, and miles redeposited, as the second ticket would only be $25, for a total cost of $175 (instead of $300).

I'm going to do a little research to find out if JL tends to open up award seats to their partners at the last minute, or if I'm better off playing it safe and just booking the JFK>HND seat on AA metal

25. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I talked it over with my fiance last night, and she doesn't want to "gamble" on our honeymoon flight (not that i blame her at all) hoping that the space opens up.

We're just going to just book the JFK>HND seat on AA in F, and we'll switch over to JL metal prior to the wedding if space opens up at the last minute. Yes we'll have to pay the $175 or $300 fee, but we'll just fork that over as an "upgrade" charge, and have peace of mind leading up to the wedding that we'll be flying first class no matter what.