Places to Stay for a Crater Lake OR Overnight

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by merice107, Apr 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are taking a week to drive from San Fransico to Seattle starting the 16th of July. We are going to do some day hiking on the 19th at Crater Lake, spend the night, and then start to move North the next morning.

Since we are just starting to plan this, we are a little behind and Crater Lake Lodge is booked full :( Has anyone stayed close to the lake that they would recommend? I don't want to be too far South of the lake because that doesn't help for our drive North the next day, but then I don't want to be so far North of the lake that it means we spend less time there the 19th. Plus I'd love to see the sun rise on the lake :)

Jett Rink and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    have you looked at the cabins at Mazama Village? http://www.craterlakelodges.com/the-cabins-at-mazama-village-805.html The other option is to pitch a tent. We did that a few years ago with the kids. Fun, but the volcanic ash got into everything. However you do it, I think two will enjoy the visit. Don't forget to bring your swim wear (you can go swimming at the tour boat landing on the north end of the crater.) Otherwise, Google Map shows some motels between Klamath Falls/Medford and Crater Lake.

Sweet Willie and merice107 like this.
  3. SO Innkeeper

SO Innkeeper New Member

Status Points:
    Check out Prospect Hotel at prospecthotel.com they are a B&B - Motel and Dinner House. Just 28 miles from the south Entrance toward Medford. Great Reviews

Sweet Willie and merice107 like this.
  4. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in Medford, OR when I did a similar trip. If you have time I highly recommend taking a Jet Boat on the Rogue River.

5. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call the lodge every few day,s they often get cancellations last minute. It is the most convenient location.
    There is a smaller lake a little north that is outside of the park that has lots of little motels etc

Jett Rink and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called today and got a room at Crater Lake Lodge. Perfect location.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just happen to have photos of the lodge and park from my 2010 visit (stayed in Medford the night before and Grants Pass the day of visit):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to do another Northwest road trip this fall. More Crater Lake photos HERE.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    anyone been to Crater Lake in the winter? If this article is accurate, doubtful that anyone has as a very small % visit in winter. http://www.oregonwild.org/about/hik...res/articles/crater-lake-cross-country-skiing

the photos I've seen, the lake looks more spectacular when there is snow.

tom911, as always, I (& I'm sure the board) very much appreciate your photos & links to photo albums !