Places to buy cheap (legitimate) electronics while traveling

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by arkleseizure, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any feedback on places where they have seen good deals on electronics (legitimate, not knock off stuff) while traveling? I managed to pick up some pretty cheap stuff in both Akihabara (Tokyo) and Den Den Town (Osaka), which I didn't really expect.

joesmoe likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent a bit of time walking around in Akihabara two years ago, and while it was cool to see all those shops, ultimately I only ended up buying some ear bud replacements for my Shure headsets. I may be lucky to have a Fry's Electronics store around here that has lots of weird and mainstream electronics, but with the internet it's not not that difficult to get most gadgets anywhere in the world.

Then again, maybe I just looked in the wrong stores ;) I am certainly interested in this topic, too!

joesmoe likes this.
  3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Funny...my Akihabara purchases were all related to my Etymotic Research ER-4. Also, in Den Den town I bought some Audio Technica ATH-AD900 cans that I ended up selling used a year later for $100 more than I paid. Guess its a good place to check out headphones.

4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem I have seen is some of the items for sale in Akihabra/SIN/TPE at discounts are gray market items.
    These items were not intended for sale in the US and many times that means no warranty. I got burned once on a NIKON Camera and that was enough for me.

5. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A good point and, honestly, I would imagine it applies to a ton of stuff at the places you mentioned (if not most), as they are foreign markets. The "made for USA" stuff at most of the duty free stores is likely alright, but the prices on those have never seemed very good to me.

6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't find much in Akihabara, I went there 8 or 9 times in the few months I lived in Tokyo. I found most of the stuff to be available online for roughly the same price.

7. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That can happen even in this country. Everyone's favorite discount camera store B&H sometimes offers two prices on an item. One price is the 'Made for US' version. The other version is gray market and is backed by B&H's own guarantee.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Courts in Singapore has good deals from time-to-time particularly on demonstrator or clearance models. In general the electronic "markets" in Singapore/Bangkok/Hong Kong/Tokyo have higher prices than you can find online- however they may have some strange/cool gear you won't be able to find somewhere else or they have it first.

9. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sim Lim Square in Singapore (or Funan Centre has many of the same shops) can be good. As always "caveat emptor".

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call as long as the "caveat emptor" is really heeded- a lot of fun but need to be a super sharp buyer/negotiator to get out of there with a good deal!