Place your bets on the structure and timing of the year-2015 'enhancements'

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mevlannen, Oct 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering whether it's time to start playing bingo with speculations as regards the year-2015 Altitude programme.

For those of a Cartesian bent, let's make the card with Y-coordinates being the levels within the programme. Right now we have, practically, nine levels: 25 / 35 / 50 / 75 / 100 / 1MM / 2MM / 3MM / VIP. So, there's our Y-axis for the bingo card.

X-axis might as well be time of announcement, by week/months, starting with October/week 3, thence onwards to what? April/week 1 when they finally tell us?

I bet five levels: 50 / 100 / 1MM / 3MM/ VIP, and week 3 of November for the announcement.

Claim your square of the card!

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they'll get rid of P25, but E35 is clearly at risk. MM levels are uncommon enough not to matter.

I do think that they'll finally allow upgrades to PE. Whether we'll pay for that with another "enhancement" is a whole different matter, though.

londoncalling, mevlannen and ACMM like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll play.

Last week on November 2014
    All levels remain as is
    Too bad no third dimension to qualify benefit degradation. But that is always a given :(

I think 2015 will be my last revenue year with AC. after that if I retire early I will fly whom I wish and when

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

mevlannen likes this.
  4. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some reason I thought this was a UA thread... "here are some changes you'll like!" :oops:

No skin in this game, but: 35 level drops, replaced by a 125 level; all levels get changed in accordance. You'll know about it sometime around week 2 of November. Have fun being the Canadian version of DL.

mevlannen likes this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two bonus points to ACMM!

There **is** indeed a third dimension to the bingo card, but it's only visible on Aeronet (and hence only viewable by the Dragons). However, my favourite Dragon (YYZ transborder, friendly older lady with a Northern European name) let me in on the Secret of the Third Dimesion:

It's called 'enhancement', and it has three levels: 'better aligned with industry peers', 'enhanced', and 'retuned following feedback from our focus groups'.

In Cartesian terms, this is a Z-axis, with levels (of course) of -1, -2, and -3. There is no 'level zero' because that would be the status quo, and the stock-market analysts don't like the status quo (there then being no opportunity for ye olde pump-and-dump). There are no positive levels because that would erode shareholder value.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tomh009, Mikeschu, haven't I already spoken to you before about your habit of showing each other your answer-papers before you turn them in for marking? Two bonus points to each of you, anyway!

I would agree that level 35 might not be long for this world. Hard to decide whether level 75 bites it, too, or whether it would be level 100 that slides sideways and becomes level 125.

If the Bens were watching this board they might be tempted to offer some guesses of their own, but we are after all back here in the woodshed where the grown-ups don't go, right?

Happy Thanksgiving to all....

YULtide, mikeschu and ACMM like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting you should mention enhancements. In a call I had with the SE desk a short while ago he told me I would e pleases with the enhancements next year. Maybe I too jaded to believe. :)

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AC misses an opp to visit here. So they stick with the babies on TOBB.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other option is that 25k goes the way of the dodo and you start requal at 35. But that's not in line with "industry standards".

Put me down for a -1.25 on the Z axis. They'll align with industry standards, but not so much as to totally gut everything in a year. Qualifying spend could be in 2016 tho.

mevlannen likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eeeee. Spend. That's surely coming.

11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM, jaded? Never. Mournfully realistic, perhaps.

12. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also expecting the entire AC network to be Rouged by 2020 (or earlier). I sure hope not. I already miss the E190 service.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your style with words ;)

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    By that time I will be well into early retirement and puttin $ to the airlines I want and not caring about FF

londoncalling and mikeschu like this.
  15. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    My ardently-hopeful bet is that my retirement shall occur **before** universal Rougification.

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish that it comes to fruition for you!

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM, thank'ee much! I have two plans for retirement: one for the year in which I turn 65, and then one for the ten years thereafter (during which I tour the country to give concerts, although not carrying my instrument with me (as Jan Lisi does), because pipe organs wouldn't even fit into the hold of a Herky-Bird let alone a DH3 such as I usually ride within.

I do fully expect the Altitude programme to become further and further separated from Aeroplan (which I am more accustomed to call 'Toasterplan'). All other things being equal, I'd gratefully accept more fussing-about on behalf of frequent customers when onboard, and worry less about 'free' vacation travel. On the other hand, I'm probably enjoying the best service ever seen in my travelling life, now, as the station staff at both ends of my weekly business-commute are solicitous of my well-being and comfort, the cabin crews recognise me from across the tarmac as I walk to board the little DH3s that start and end my multi-segment journeys, and a fair number of the flight-deck crews know my name as well. Odd, that small things that leave us feeling valued.

Requal by segments being set at 125/year would not be a problem. 150/year might be a stretch (although not this year, as I am well past it already and there are yet ten weeks to go in the year).

Enjoying this conversation, of a sort which I've never yet seen on t'other site.

YULtide, mikeschu and ACMM like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I hope your plans come true for you ... while I would love to continue to enjoy AC in my retirement years I do not see it happening as I firmly believe they only value the current $ value of a customer. So wishing you all the best in your plans - MP is a great place to converse sensibly and reasonably ... but if you feel the urge to digress into hysterics there are some threads here for that also :D

Cheerio as I have an early flight tomorrow to SFO ... enjoy the rain on the windows!

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  19. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    MM levels are higher than AC planned and thus they will probably remain status quo for some time. They are ultimately afraid of having too many 3MM'ers.
    Entry level status is gold for AC because it encourages customers to strive for higher levels and more perks. Its like manna from heaven the way those entry levels drive loyalty.

southender and mevlannen like this.
  20. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Not going to happen with 35 new dream liners and new biz class seats coming on remaining long haul fleet.

21. londoncalling

Status Points:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

my prediction, last week of November, elimination of 35k. I hope I am wrong as that was my first status level ever way back in the 90s, but I see them 'aligning' with United. What is interesting is that there are 3 Gold levels to 1 Silver, the only tug for keeping 35K.

Perhaps they will be saving the major changes leading up to the time Air Canada's agreement with Aeroplan/Aimia expires (mid 2020)?

milchap and YULtide like this.
  23. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    E35 becomes P35 as an enhanced Prestige that will look a lot like the 2014 P25 plus pretty baggage tags, while P25 gets downgraded by removing the free first checked bag and allowing upgrades only within 3:26 of flight time. Thus there will be two Prestige and two Elite levels. Whether a new enhanced SE level is added is open to speculation.

Upgrade add-ons, so beloved and successful this year, will be added to domestic upgrades. Upgrades to PE will be added, but with a $250 fee.

Rouge will go the way of Tango in 2016 by being reintegrated into the mailine as a no-frills fare bucket with fees for checked and carry-on bags, plus a boarding pass fee. Rouge pax will earn valuable Aeroplan miles at a rate of 5% of miles flown.

A SE iris scanner will be installed on most planes with an automated announcement welcoming every SE on board by name.

24. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am so happy to have quit the game with final retirement.
    My program has no stinkin enhancements.......wait a minute.....it also has no benefits. :D

maradori, YULtide, ACMM and 3 others like this.
  25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Although my expected ACMM status (due early 2016, unless the rules change before that ...) will likely direct most of my flights to *A.

And I will admit that I still like the AC hard product, although the shrinking seat widths (on 787s and upcoming 737s) don't make me particularly happy.

YULtide, ACMM, londoncalling and 2 others like this.