Place to store luggage at O'Hare?

Discussion in 'ORD/MDW | Chicago Area Airports' started by Tracy T., Jan 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend is flying into and out of ORD in the same day, but has a 10 hour layover. Since his arriving and departing flights aren't on the same reservation (but is the same airline -UsAir) he will have to collect his 2 large suitcases and recheck them. Two questions: will US allow him to check in bags 10 hours before the flight, and if not is there anywhere else to store them while he goes out to explore the city?
    The best I could come up with was to get a room at the airport Hilton for the day ($90 for 9am-6pm) and just stick them in the room.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to to book a room at the Hilton just talk nicely to guys the Hilton luggage desk ( perhaps give them a story that you will be checking into the hotel later or alternately just checked out whichever is appropriate for your time frame ) and they will give you tags and store them for you.. i
    But please dont be cheap (as some here are wont to be) and tip them a few dollars and not spoil for us who have taken advantage of this before.

3. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that suggestion! If he feels ok doing that I promise he will tip well.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that so? I have never "interlined" bags with two tickets of the same carrier, but certainly checked bags to the final destination when two carriers on different tickets were involved. I'd show the check-in agent the two itineraries and ask for the bag to be checked all the way through.

5. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, yes. He bought the ORD-LAX-HKG ticket thinking he would drive to Chicago w/ someone and spend the day. That fell through so he later bought a separate ticket to ORD. I would think UsAir would be able to check the bags through, but am not sure. I was wondering if anyone else had done this. Thanks!

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems the answer is that they don't do it anymore:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...stop-interlining-baggage-on-separate-tickets/

7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Since both flights are with US, your friend can check his bags through his final destination.

US will no longer interline baggage [to another carrier] on separate tickets, but this does not apply in the OP's online connection scenario.

8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    How are they flying US Airways to HKG?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. Tracy T.

Tracy T. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, the flight is Air China to HKG. I haven't seen the itinerary so I'm going just going by what my (non-frequent traveller) friend is telling me.