Pilots often head to wrong airports, reports show

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.hjnews.com/news/world/article_131e8eec-bf35-57e0-8e5f-dc536b3d44f3.html

Do you know the way to San Jose? Quite a few airline pilots apparently don't.

On at least 150 flights, including one involving a Southwest Airlines jet last month in Missouri and a jumbo cargo plane last fall in Kansas, U.S. commercial air carriers have either landed at the wrong airport or started to land and realized their mistake in time, according to a search by The Associated Press of government safety databases and media reports since the early 1990s.

A particular trouble spot is San Jose, Calif. The list of landing mistakes includes six reports of pilots preparing to land at Moffett Field, a joint civilian-military airport, when they meant to go to Mineta San Jose International Airport, about 10 miles to the southeast. The airports are south of San Francisco in California's Silicon Valley.

Read More: http://news.hjnews.com/news/world/article_131e8eec-bf35-57e0-8e5f-dc536b3d44f3.html

2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....or wrong runways/taxiways at the right airport.

3. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not the best thing that can happen to any pilot .I'm sure they learn from the mistakes and move on. Also image.jpg somewhat embarrassed !!!!!!

ducster and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    As fewer and fewer smaller cities in the US have water towers, with the name clearly painted on the side, this will likely happen more.

When Jeppesen-Sanderson started to go to iPads, I thought that pilots would do better, but maybe not. At least the pilots can play Candy Crush, or World of Warcraft, as they are landing at the wrong airport.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the old day we use to follow the Rail Road Tracks...

And use 2 VOR, when they crossed you were there.

Many a times have I ask for a directional practice approach, those guy can walk you right down.

Helps when the sun is in your eyes...

6. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, once on cross-county flight, it had been common to follow the US Interstate highways. Then, that was abandoned as a good plan, when it was pointed out that "lost Naval pilots" always flew along the Interstates, trying to find their way back. I have nothing to back up that allegation. All Navy pilots that I know, can navigate well, and totally without Interstate Highways. Still, doing X-country, we began to avoid any Interstate.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does that mean no Candy Crush, or Angry Birds in the cockpit, during the flight?

MSYgirl and blackjack-21 like this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should've let them keep their iPads/Tablets on in the cockpit to use Microsoft FlightSIM to find their way in the dark if all else fails. I've got the old MSFSM'98, and it shows all the runways and headings for most airports in NA, although there's been many changes since that one came out, with additional runways, taxiways, etc. Now if I could just learn how to make a SMOOTHER landing! :rolleyes::oops:

MSYgirl likes this.