Pilot's illness turns NZ1 back to LAX

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by Rejuvenated, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    An Air New Zealand jet three hours into a flight to Auckland has returned to Los Angeles after a pilot became ill.

A doctor who was a passenger on the Air New Zealand flight treated the pilot.

Air New Zealand spokesperson Marie Hosking said the flight NZ1 from Los Angeles was being operated by three pilots so the flight deck remained fully staff at all times.

She could not say what illness the pilot had suffered.

"Obviously it is serious enough for them to have to return to Los Angeles."

The Boeing 777-300 aircraft had 316 passengers on board.

Due to crew rest requirements, Air New Zealand provided the passengers with hotel accommodation in Los Angeles overnight.

The flight will depart again for Auckland this afternoon (New Zealand time).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/7118480/Pilots-illness-turns-Air-NZ-jet-back-to-LA

uggboy likes this.
  2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: hope the pilot is safe and sound

Was LAX the closest airport to divert to? Wonder if they ever considered HNL as opposed to LAX, given that NZ also operates out of HNL.

uggboy and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While HNL is also an NZ destination, they serve it with a 767-300 and it probably was not feasible to put up the 316 passengers and crewmembers in HNL which is why they diverted back to Los Angeles where there are more resources.

jetsetboy, uggboy and kw335 like this.
  4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. Logistics aside though, would the pax be required to reclear immigrations and customs? Depending on the time of arrival, it could be hell to process an extra 316 pax at the border.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what data is available on FlightAware, yes.
    [​IMG]

HNL (21°19'07"N 157°55'21"W) 24°27'00"N 130°35'00"W 77.7° (E) 1754 mi
    24°27'00"N 130°35'00"W LAX (33°56'33"N 118°24'29"W) 45.5° (NE) 983 mi

And that's before you consider that there are more likely to be tailwinds headed back eastbound.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting question.

I think the answer is yes, as Foreigners would need new I-94 cards.

I don't know if the US issues single-entry visas for some categories, but presumably those now-multiple-entrants would be given dispensation to enter.

Anyone know for sure?

I had a lhr-JFK flight divert to dub due to a cabin fire. They held us in an isolated room in dub till the plane was given the all clear to resume the trip. Presumably some pax wouldn't have the credentials to enter Ireland if we were truly stuck.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In your case, were "credentialed" pax allowed to enter Ireland while waiting for the all clear? Or were they required to wait in a sterile holding area just like everybody else?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They can "undo" the emigration process where necessary as I understand it. I forget the exact term for it (I'll go try to find it again) but it can be done.

I actually had this done for me in Morocco last December but I know that's different than the way it would happen in the USA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they operate from HNL and have a pilot off duty there, Why not land in HNL, leave the pilot for treatment and proceed to NZ?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would they have an off-duty 773 pilot there if they serve HNL with a 767 (per post #3)? (I am assuming that 767 pilots aren't rated for 773, but certainly would be happy to be corrected).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, the three pilot crew would have timed out regardless upon arrival in HNL.

As for the ANZ 767 typed pilots, they are not rated for the Boeing 777 so they would not be allowed to fly the 777 aircraft out of HNL.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lax appears like it was materially closer to where the plane was (vs HNL) at the time the decision was taken.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone was held in the holding area; no option to enter was given.

We were only on the ground for about an hour. The flames that caused us to divert were observed from some sort of food heating device in the J galley (it wasn't a full-out open blaze or anything). They disabled the power to that galley for the continuation flight.

Had the plane been inoperable, it would have been trickier I'm sure.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With a medical emergency you generally don't fly farther than absolutely necessary to take care of the situation. Yeah, it sucks for the passengers, but way better than trying to fly nearly 2 extra hours at that point.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was thinking more about the emergency than the broader situation itself...