Pilot Suspected of Being Drunk Delays Flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and tommy2tone like this.
  2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Unbelievable. So many lives in his hands.

LETTERBOY, MLW20 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If a pilot steps foot on a plane either drunk or under any influence, they should be charged with attempted murder or something to that extent... Think of all the damage they could cause...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about drunk drivers? They may not "be able" to kill as many people in one shot with their vehicle, but I don't think that's much consolation to those who do get killed or injured.

5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most would agree that it is much easier to monitor pilots opposed to drivers. Nobody ever said that drunk driving was any less of a crime...

This thread is about a pilot though, not the billions of people that drive.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Which ultimately also makes it much less of an urgent issue to deal with with new penalties, IMO.

The point I made really is: just because something happens in the context of an airplane doesn't mean it's more important than in other scenarios. The government tracks (and the media reports) the number of pets that die each year while being shipped in the belly of a plane. How many pets die in the car when their owners leave them in there during a hot day? AA loses a cat at JFK and all hell breaks loose on FB. How many cats disappear/get lost/abandoned every day?

A pilot is caught drunk in an airport. California alone had 203,866 DUI arrests in 2007 (do we charge them all with attempted murder? Or only the 6000+ felony arrests?). I think you can understand that I am much more worried about getting hit by a drunk driver on the way to or from work than to crash in an airliner due to a drunk pilot? So calling for attempted murder charges for a drunk pilot doesn't really do much for me... (btw, IANAL, but while certainly a more inflammatory term, I don't think it's the appropriate one).

By the way, I am not an expert on the psychology of drunk people, but I am not convinced that a pilot would be more deterred by a potential attempted manslaughter/homicide/... charge than by the loss of their job and livelihood after years of training. If the latter isn't deterrence enough, we need to find better screening criteria for pilot candidates, not harsher penalties to soothe the outrage of the masses reading the news.

7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am really not too concerned about the pilot of my flight being drunk however there should be extremely strict penalties if one is caught under the influence. Me saying that they "should be charged with attempted murder or something to that extent" was a general statement. Do I think that if a pilot is caught he will get 10 years in prison-No I do not, but it should be a serious penalty- have something on his record, lose his job, pilots license and so on.

Drunk driving is a whole other topic. Once again, this is a frequent flyer board not a driving board. When I say this, it does not mean it is of any less importance.

When it comes to airports & airplanes things are in a much more controlled environment so when a pet is lost or a pilot tries to get on his flight drunk it is going to grab a lot more attention. An airline is responsible for pets, luggage & cargo as well as it's employees. Who is monitoring the random guy that abandons his cat? Who is responsible for the person getting wasted at home and then getting into his car?

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but we're not living in a bubble or discussing things without the context of the surrounding world. If a politician called for attempted murder charges for a drunk pilot, many here would probably consider it pandering to the outraged passengers, not a reasonable response to a problem.

then why did you say "If a pilot steps foot on a plane either drunk or under any influence, they should be charged with attempted murder or something to that extent" ? I am confused.

Isn't that the penalty that a drunk pilot is facing? I don't think the FAA is going to let this slide if the situation is confirmed as reported.

An example courtesy of Google:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94267&page=1#.Tz6F9XJAaxE

Think any airline is going to hire this guy as a pilot again? (at least I'd hope no one's dumb enough)

9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like you'd just like to argue for arguments sake so I'm not going to continue engaging in this pointless debate.
    If you'd like to argue some more, I suggest you join a debate team! :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fine with me.