Pilot completes world's shortest flight for last time

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...tes-worlds-shortest-flight-for-last-time.html

[​IMG]

Loganair’s Stuart Linklater has flown the famously brief route between Westray and Papa Westray in Orkney more than 12,000 times in 24 years.

The distance between the two locations stands at slightly more than a mile and can be travelled in as little as 47 seconds, depending on the direction of the wind.

The flight between Westray and Papa Westray is currently priced at £21 return, making it perhaps the most expensive flight in the world in terms of cost per mile.

Loganair has been running the route since the start of its Scottish inter-island service in 1967, while Mr Linklater, 59, joined the airline in 1988.

“I've thoroughly enjoyed my time on the Orkney Inter-Isle Service and have worked with and carried so many interesting people in the last 24 years,” said Mr Linklater. "Flying in some of the most challenging weather conditions in Scotland means I've had my fair share of turbulence over the years, but I've enjoyed every minute of it.”

The Orkney Inter-Isle Service, a Public Service Obligation contract funded by Orkney Islands Council, was retained by Loganair in January.

A lifeline to those on the islands and the Orkney mainland, Loganair will provide these services until 2016 with the option to extend the contract by a further 12 months.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...tes-worlds-shortest-flight-for-last-time.html

uggboy likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    taxi + take off roll (54s) almost as long as your flight (1m16s) :D

Wandering Aramean and anileze like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, wonder what the average load is ? :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup...and it was only that short because I goaded the pilot into taking the shorter direction. The winds were not favorable for us that day to have the shorter hop but I talked to him on the layover at Westray and expressed disappointment that I'd have the "long" version of the flight. After we landed he turned to me and smartly asked, "So was one minute twenty short enough for you?"

It was awesome.

kiwi likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The flight is a triangle route; most folks during the regular schedule are flying to get to/from "mainland" (what they call the largest of the Orney Islands). Very few do just the hop.

kiwi likes this.