Piecing Together Award Segments?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by knick1959, Jun 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Related to the question I just posed about needing 2 awards but only seeing 1. I should note that I am not asking in the AA forum directly as I AM mixing AA and BA miles, and am certainly open to mixing other airlines into my plan.

As mentioned in the previous thread, I have a flight to Lima, Peru I want to take (2 people). The flight I want starts in Miami, but I am in CLE, so I must find a way to get there first. If I see 2 different award flights listed on the AA website to complete the trip, but AA's scheduler doesn't connect these 2 automatically, if I call in is there a chance I can get these on a single award ticket? Or do I have to book the 2 different awards segments separately?

Now, if I opt to use BA Avios, it doesn't really matter, right? I have to pay per-segment anyway. The only up-side to having it all on one ticket is that I don't have to worry about luggage logistics myself. Right?

Thanks in advance.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets see if I get this right? You basically need to get from CLE to MIA ( flight MIA/LIM is already booked) correct?
    You decision is to whether to use BA or AA miles.
    Checking on both ba.com ( 7500 miles ) and on aa.com (12,500 miles) there are direct flights to be found CLE/MIA operated by AE. Perhaps on the day you need to fly there are only two segment awards available.... in that case it would cost 12000 Avios but the AA cost will be the same 12500 miles.

As far as luggage it doesn't matter since you will be flying AA, AE or US, all one airline.
    If the luggage concern is MIA/LIM then you can check your bag through if the on-going carrier is a OW member ( not sure about other airlines)

3. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I didn't do a good job of asking. My question is more: Am I making a mistake trying to book awards a segment at a time, or should I be looking for ways to combine segments into single awards up front. And can you even do this if the online scheduler doesn't offer the right combinations?

I have not booked any flights for this trip yet. I am assuming, if using Avios for AA flights, I can book individual segments at will and the only downside is that, if not on the same ticket, I may have to fetch and recheck bags in-between segments.

If I end up using AA miles (for example, if I am an award short (booking for 2, only 1 saver award exists) and need to book a segment on Anytime award miles), can I simply call AA and have them get me from CLE to the DFW or MIA (the 2 international gateway cities) ... and can that be included on the single award ... CLE->LIM instead of CLE->MIA, MIA->LIM?

Does that make better sense?

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well a little:D

I'ii take a shot at it by answering the easier questions first:
    1) Whether you book individual legs using Avios or on one single PNR you will be able to check your luggage through to the final destination.
    2) AA awards are determined by Zone of departure to Zone of destination. So CLE/MIA/LIM will be same as CLE/ORD/DFW/MIA/LIM even if have to connect though all those
    airports.
    3) You are better off trying to book single awards. Since your trip is in April you might want to lock in these awards as soon as they become available or you may have play the
    roulette game in having to wait (and hope) that additional inventory will be released much closer to the departure date.
    4) You should however look at the individual legs to see whats available. If you want to book a C award to LIM and you see for example CLE/CLT is available in F
    but CLT/MIA is only showing in Y then you need to call into aa.com have them book a mixed award, providing you want to go that route.
    Note however in that instance you will end up paying the full C award miles.
    5) Alternately you can book each leg as individual awards on ba.com
    Its worth noting that CLE/LIM one-way with Avios will run between 31K (booked as two awards, CLE/MIA and MIA/LIM) with various combination between and 70K for a
    single award AA/LAN. Whereas an AA C award is always 30k miles one-way

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014