Piecing an award booking together

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chinesescouser, Oct 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    So I'm trying to piece together an award itinerary and need some advice.

Rough Itinerary:
    ORD-NRT (s/o) NRT-CTU (destination) CTU-ORD

What I'd like to do:
    • I see availability for the inbound long haul flight, but no availability outbound.
    • I'm taking advantage of a stopover.
    • It would have to be considered a round trip (i.e. 140K r/t in F), since I want a stopover; and I don't want to spend unnecessary miles in piecing together segments.
    • I'd may need to use an open jaw.

Questions:
    • Should I secure the inbound seats first?
    • When I find availability for the outbound, do I just call an agent and ask them to add the segment? Will this automatically be recognised as a r/t?
    • I'd like to secure all the seats that are available now. There are a lot of layovers, some forced, some required, so even though CTU-ORD sounds direct, I have some routing options. But by securing these segments, i.e. BKK-CDG, I'm assuming it's not going to be allowed; since right now I'm not adding segments within a r/t itin.
    • What is the best course of action? Obviously as time draws closer to the date availability will become more and more scarce.

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will likely have trouble with a random segment which doesn't touch the rest of the itinerary, though the website can do cray things some days.

I have had success changing a one-way into a round trip, adding a stopover to it. There may be fees associated with that depending on elite status. If you can find seats which get you to and fro, even if they aren't the ideal routing, I'd book those and then refine it going forward assuming your elite status allows for free changes.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to turn a one-way into a return with a stopover as a silver without charge, but don't know that I fit into any policy on that. I am still several months out.

4. chinesescouser

Status Points:
    So if I'm understanding what you're saying, ideally I should book any routing now and make sure the destination and stopover is in the itin and then make changes later on.

Unfortunately, only a UA Gold so I'm aware of the fees I'll have to pay when making changes. And I'm sure these changes will be very last minute as well.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are trying to turn what is naturally a multi-segment trip into a r/t and are thus shackling yourself...I would simply spend a few more miles and avoid all the gymnastics. To avoid paying too much more I'd redeem to fly in C rather than in F and use the saved miles for 'local' travel by redeeming for *A awards. That becomes something that you can do easily and flexibly since NRT and ORD are major UA hubs and CTU is a major CA hub.

BTW, if you do make it to CTU, try to take a day to visit the world's largest Panda breeding farm... :)

6. chinesescouser

Status Points:
    CTU is really a hub that I'm using to fly elsewhere. I'm hoping that we'll have time to go to the panda sanctuary.

Thanks for your advice. At the moment it's just hoping that award tix open up so I can upgrade.