Pending Picture upload - size limit display

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We don't have an indication of size limits on picture uploads, so people are trying to upload 2 and 4 mg images; they go through the process and then it just stops, nothing happens, no explanation why it doesn't work.

Other sites use an upload window that tells you exactly what you can and can't upload. Here's an example, from a site running on vB 3.6.12. Note it tells you the max filesize, width and height for each file format.

picture-upload-dialog.jpg

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks, a good suggestion, I have added this to our master list.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the total size a jpg upload can be? My iphone photos that I've copied onto my mac are apparently too large.

Horse likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not sure where the limit is, I believe it's more than 1 mg but less than 2 mg.
    However, I recommend keeping things under 800px wide and under 150k, just so pages load in a reasonable amount of time. Any larger than that is wasted on this type of display anyway.

There are a few threads (PTravel and Eightback started them) on image prep and uploading- links to those are in the first few paragraphs of the master list of photo threads.

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    1024 KB is the size limit on uploads currently.