picking a hotel chain

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey folks.

I have a new job that will require a decent amount of travel. I've been reading up on the hotel chains and it certainly doesn't seem that we're getting as much bang for our buck as we were before.

I have 80k points with IHG from their credit card bonus. Though about sticking with them,, but they certainly don't have much in the way of luxury hotels (some, not a ton).

Travel for work will be concentrated in the states. New Jersey, New York, Arkansas, Virginia,, Missouri, Oregon and possibly other places too.

Hilton seemed like a good middle ground but their rewards apparently stink now!

My only opposition to Marriott are their extremely conservative politics.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Sweet Willie, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott isn't as conservative as you think. Oh sure they talk a big game but... I apparently come from the opposite viewpoint as yourself. I'm very very conservative and find them leaning toward the middle ground. I guess that's how you get hit by the bus. In the middle of the road. If a person is very progressive on the opposite end of the spectrum from me then they should value diversity of all kinds anyway.

As far as IHG they do have some very nice luxury properties. Many of the Intercontinental hotels are very nice. IHG is much easier to earn points and get status than most of the other big chains. You already should have Platinum status from the credit card alone. I travel mostly in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. IHG has good coverage. I also like Drury as a local chain but they don't have many luxury properties.

Hilton is a good chain but the points are so devalued that I only stay with them if I am forced to.

Personally I like Hyatt Place properties the best but they don't have many where I travel. They are opening a new location in Chesterfield Missouri however.

Starwood can be good but again coverage in Missouri and most places I travel is very weak at best.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting about Marriott -- I guess it depends what politics you care about and/or what you consider conservative. Time after time I've known them to be women friendly, minority friendly and gay friendly. They support immigration reform. Lots of their properties are LEEDS certified. Some of those aren't traditionally considered conservative views. They may be conservative in some ways, I dunno really. But I don't think it's fair to say they are ONLY conservative.

uggboy and nonstopski like this.
  4. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Marriott - It's mostly based on their donations. I typically don't do any kind of boycotting companies based on their politics, but Marriott is one I end up avoiding, partly just because I haven't found one that's affordable or convenient in my travel, on top of their politics (JW donated 1 mil to Romney). However their CEO did back immigration reform (only makes sense from a business perspective). Anyways, enough politics.

I do know they have TONS of hotels, so from that aspect, they seem like a good choice.

I wouldn't mind Hyatt either, but as mentioned, not that many locations! IHG seems like a really good choice. I already have the points, they have hotels everywhere, and, as daninstl mentioned, they do have some nice luxury hotels. And given that I'm really not picky on luxury in hotels (I'm usually not in the hotel that much - for business or pleasure), I think IHG would fit just fine!

uggboy, daninstl and bigx0 like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For folks who travel mostly domestically to places with no Waldorf Astorias, Conrads or over-the-water properties to be concerned about the purported HHonors points "devaluation" is a head-scratcher... Coming to NYC? I know a great DoubleTree less than a block from the Waldorf Astoria @ a third or a fourth the number of points! The bottom line is that virtually every hotel chain out there has made their very top properties quite expensive (checked out Hyatt lately?) to redeem points for. The smart money says one should go for mid to lower tier properties or do a cash+points at high end ones...To keep complaining about "devaluation" when the clock is not likely to turn back is quite futile. For folks who travel domestically Hilton or Marriott would be the best choice since they have properties even in very small towns. The converse is that Hyatt, with barely 500 properties worldwide, would be a poor choice for domestic travelers...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    vickers, wharvey, chrislacey and 2 others like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll tell you what I do for my travels in the Midwest. I sign up for the Marriott promos like the stay 2x and get a night free cat 1-4 or cat 1-5. I will try and do those stays just to get the free nights but I don't steer most of my travel there, just enough to get the free stuff. I have done this in the past with Radisson / Country Inn properties. My favorite IHG luxury spots (although my standards are low) are Intercontinental Rome (Spanish Steps), Intercontinental O'Hare airport, Intercontinental Miami and I do like the Crown Plaza Chicago Metro in Greek Town (although not really all the Luxury). I like the Rome location because well it's Rome. O'Hare is just a really nice hotel that usually upgrades me and I work near there as do I the Greek Town site. Miami is an OK hotel but I like it because it's close to the cruise terminal, shopping and restaurants. Intercontinental Cozumel is on my list as well because of the diving and weather (It's 68 there at 5am and 3 here in KC right this minute).

wharvey, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your Mileage May Vary.

Hyatt has a great rewards program. But if there aren't any Hyatt's where you're going to be working, or the rates aren't acceptable to your employer, or whatever, then Hyatt isn't a good fit, regardless of what their high end properties are like, that you might prefer their rewards program, etc.

Personally I'd look at Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, IHG etc and see what hotels are available where you're going to be working. You need to find acceptable properties that you can live with, that are close enough to your locations, and you may not be able to tell all that just by looking at the hotel on websites. I generally don't have a strong opinion until I've stayed in a hotel and commuted from there. Some Holiday Inn Express locations are fine, some are awful. Some Hiltons are great, some are horrible. Some places the commute is unbearable. Do your research.

wharvey and chrislacey like this.
  8. wharvey

wharvey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would look at hotel availability in the cities you plan to visit. Will you be staying in hotels often enough to get status to enjoy the benefits? I am also amazed at people who rush to get status only to not really use it at the end of the day.

Generically, IHG is a good brand... many properties along the cost/point spectrum and pretty plentiful no matter where you go. But, if you want luxury, you may find your options limited depending on what cities you are staying in on your trips.

9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suggest you can also look at www.awardmapper.com to have a look at what are the hotel chain properties that are available in your states/cities of interest

10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didnt realize that Marriott was a conservative company. Bonus in my book.

Anyway, I signed up for a few. My primary ones are IHG, Marriott, and HIlton. Then, I stay based on the property and the current promotion. Not married to 1 chain though.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Picking a hotel because the chain is conservative or not ?:rolleyes:

We I stumbled on this thread I mistakenly thought "objectivity" was of some importance ... oh well

12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    lol. Yeah, im an evil conservative. If i avoided liberal companies, well, id have nothing. lol

13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised by the number of people who choose their companies based off the company's political views.. I support the LGBT community, but will still go to Chik-Fil-A for their yummy chicken sandwich and waffles fries.

newbluesea likes this.
  14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I picked Hilton because I think Paris Hilton is kind of hot in a trashy sort of way. ;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.