Photos from Today: Martin Luther King National Memorial and National Zoo

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by tom911, Sep 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been about DC this weekend and have taken a number of photos. After swapping hotels and relocating to Bethesda, trained a few stops down to the National Zoo at Woodley Park where they have some gorgeous lion cubs and adult tigers, and by 5pm I was at the yet-to-be-dedicated Martin Luther King National Memorial on the Tidal Basin. I believe this has only been open to the public for two weeks now, and last week's dedication was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene.

I'll post a photo from each location here and encourage you to check HERE for the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sobore, goalie, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice shots Tom! (and you sure do get around ;))

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to be retired. I usually go to DC one or two weekends a year as weekend hotel rates are pretty attractive, particularly on holiday weekends. I paid $79 in Rosslyn (Holiday Inn with a nice view across the Potomac towards Georgetown) and $65 in Bethesda (Hyatt). Back in the air next week to Pittsburgh.

4. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! You got a great deal on the Bethesda Hyatt ---much better than their usual weekend rates. Location is wonderful, right atop the Metro. (even if metro can be a sloooow pain on the weekends)

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a great selection of restaurants about 2 blocks away, too. On arrival in Bethesda you're surrounded by office buildings, but just two blocks away there's everything from tapas to Italian to a brewery restaurant.