Photography Gear--Whatcha all got?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Tiki, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  2. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    Small, light and powerful is key for me and travel. I'm using a Leica V-LUX 20 limited Titanium edition right now. Like to upgrade that to the M9. Always coupled with my MacBookPro and Aperture/PS combo. I love low light and long exposure work.

I took a one year trip around the world with my family, 25 countries. No school for a year! We carried two Canon 1DsMkII bodies with just about every Canon lens you could imagine. I also have a Canon 1DsMkIII now after selling the other bodies but don't take it on trips. We did a book from the trip, "Portraits of Our World". www.portraitsofourworld.com. I'm a big lighting guy but on a trip like that we couldn't carry amazing lights. Relied on 4 Canon Flashes with IR remote. Not really powerful enough and rarely used. We also brought along a Canon Pixma bluetooth battery printer. We left 8x10 images behind for families in remote parts of Africa and Asia. Probably the best images they ever/will ever have of their families and children.

Can probably add much more here as they thoughts occur to me. It doesn't so much matter what you have as long as you have the camera out and are using it!

Tiki and Gargoyle like this.
  3. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My primary camera for travel is my trusty old Canon Rebel XT (just about all the grip is worn off by now) and a 17.0-40.0 mm as my primary walking-around lens. For most trips I also bring my 28.0-135.0 mm lens.

For snorkeling, or quick snapshot occasions, we recently got a Panasonic DMC-FT. The waterproof part proved true in a recent trip to St.Lucia, though I'm still learning the settings.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use a Canon 7D for all of my photos, I had a 450D until a few months ago and love the change. I just poublished a TR and you can see some pics from the 7D which works really well in low light

5. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    7D is a great choice.

6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a nikon d-90 that I sometimes lug around with 18-200. But I usually just toss a canon g-11 into my bag for travel. Though I've always been a nikon girl, I was talked into a canon g-7 by the NIKON rep(!) at my camera store when I was looking for a compact a few years ago. At that time, no one else had that long a lens in a compact, and Nikon just wasn't "getting" what serious amateurs were looking for in a small package. Loved the camera, and bought the g11 when it was released. So, I've stuck with Nikon for my big stuff, but love the small-ish canon.

(and I've got a variety of other nikon lenses and all the nikon film cameras I bought---starting in 1980, or so. My first digital was a nikon d70, the day it came out. Sold it when I bought the d90, it was still working as new!)

7. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep I am really happy with it. Was going for the 5D but the faster speed of the 7D one me over and for the size I would ever print I will never see the difference

8. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can easily get a 20 x 24 out of that handled correctly w/good exposure, ISO 100 good lighting etc.

9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a lame ass nikond50 with a crap ton of expensive lenses, an iphone and a canon s90. Hoping for a nikon d300 soon. I like canon, but I have too much invested in Nikon to let go.I take a picture everyday, phone, camera, whatever. Just gotta do it.

You know, you can have some big equipment, but if you don't use it, what is the use?

10. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Bag
    Nikon D80
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
    Nikon 18-200 3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 24-70mm 2.8
    Nikon 105mm 2.8

Gary Fong Puffer
    Manfrotto 728B Tripod

I started off with the Nikon 18-200 and the Sigma 10-20, but lately I've just been using the Nikon 24-70mm. Yes I know the Nikon D80 is DX but hoping to upgrade the body soon :)

11. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, you carry so much while traveling? I use a super old Konica Minolta DiMage G600 - hahaha...still the best point and shoot for night time that I have ever used...screen is only a litter over 1" and it's only 6MegaPix...hahaha. BTW - discontinued like 3 or 4 years ago ;-)

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm very happy with my Canon G9. It has point and shoot size, so I can travel light and easily have it available at all times; but the hardware and capabilities are as good as a reasonable dSLR. I do have a telephoto lens to attach to it for shooting architectural details, but even with that the kit is quite compact.

Tiki and joanek like this.
  13. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canon 7D and two SD4000 P&S.

CT-UK likes this.
  14. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually for the most part leave the 18-200 and the 50mm at home.

15. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved mine, too---and used it all over the world until one too many scratches appeared. Replaced it with the G11---and am equally happy. Love the long lens, raw, even just using it as a point and shoot results in great photos.

That said, I've taken some amazing photos with my iphone. A few stunning ones.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5, I just can not be bothered with a larger camera anymore.
    It is also shockproof even though I have not tested this feature yet it is only a matter of time.

17. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel with my GoPro camera for any wet and dirty events and a Canon XS for more quality. I really only use a canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, It's super cheap but takes incredibly crisp photos.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Canon 60d because I really want to get in to DSLR video. Any suggestions on filming while traveling vs. still photography? Is the 60d a good buy? should I wait and save up for the 7d? I'm getting pretty excited about all the new possibilities, so waiting might be tough..

hulagrrl210 and Tiki like this.
  18. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nikon D60 with 18-55 & 70-300 Lenses
    My daughter (age 11) is the photographer. If I take a picture it is with the iPhone.

19. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think the 105mm is good enough if you are just taking photos of people. My friend has this lens and he loves it!

20. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel with my Nikon D90 and an 18-250 mm Sigma lens. I usually have a monopod with me and always have the SB-400 Speedlight, which takes up almost no space at all in my bag.

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i love my nikon d90 with 3 lenses. love to use my wide angle.

22. cgrooms
    Original Member

cgrooms Silver Member

Status Points:
    Careful about taking tripods through Narita. Limits on length. Had to take my ball head off to conform. Sort of laughable but could have been an issue. Not sure of Japanese legal length but be aware please.

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    What other lenses do you carry and which wide-angle?

24. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i travel with the nikon 18-55mm, the nikon 70-300, and the sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. i think it's called a fisheye.

25. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was using a Nikon D200. But I was taking a pic and suddenly the camera gave me this weird shudder of death accompanied by a sad "screeee" sound. Despite my best efforts, all I could coax out of the camera after that was "ERR" flashing on the top LCD screen. [​IMG]

The only good thing is that it "forced" me to upgrade. Fortuitously I was in PVG so finding a Nikon store wasn't impossible. So I now use a D700 with the Nikon 28-300 lens. I also have an older 24-85 (Nikon) lens which I use when the 300 is a bit too big to carry around.

I was amazed frankly at the difference between the D200 and the D700. The upgrade to the FX sensor was worth it.