Photography forum?

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by jason8612, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance of a photography forum in the future?

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We should have one, split into two subforums- Photography discussion, and Photo sharing threads.
    I love the photo sharing threads, and I'm very proud of them, but they are so successful that they are clogging up the destination travel threads.
    Look at the Asia or Europe thread now, and it's hard to find the discussions.

3. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The photo sharing threads are terrific and, I think, will be helpful to people trying to get a feel for new destinations. I think they should have a dedicated subforum.

Jeffie, Freddie Listo and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a Photography discussion would be great - mostly the technical aspects that don't get covered in the technology forum. I for one, would happy to contribute my knowledge of using my iphone to take pictures of food in restaurants. [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    There certainly has been an interest and our early members seem to love the way that the upload system works. We made a judgment call at the beginning to open milepoint with a 'big buckets' approach and then would audit the member contributions a little later on to see what was working, rather than open dozens of forums and hope that the content would come. Again, a judgment call. We'll likely continue to leave things the way they are during our forst month being open and on or around April 1, look closely at what has been posted and make some decisions along with our members at that time. There's two ways to look at "build it and it will come" either from a forum view or from a content view. Keep building content, especially around the idea of photography and it (the forum) will come. thanks for asking and i have become a huge fan of photography merely by looking at the posts that are using the upload system. I had not noticed just how much the topic and the results (actual pics) can really add to the forums in the past. Again, thank you.

Tiki, MrsBobSgt and Gargoyle like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I did a count last night, and we're up to 102 photo sharing threads already- If you had asked me before that, I would have guessed only 40 or 50, and I'm the one tracking them. The response from the membership has been nothing short of amazing.

On the downside, they are clogging up the destination/travel forums, making it harder to spot the other content, so I hope you'll consider a move soon. A photo discussion area will also be great, sharing tips on good equipment for travel, common lighting, archiving and post processing issues, and discussion of photo hosting sites and upload issues.

Tiki likes this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So should I ask you to remove the JAL Photo Thread from your list if I don't want it to be moved to the Photo Forum?

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good point. I would think that in general, the ones in the General Travel Photo Sharing Threads category (scroll to the bottom of the list to find them) are exceptions and many of them belong where they are. The JAL Photo and Video threads might actually belong in that category, along with the AA photos which are there.

I'll go back and look at those, they may not be location specific.