Photo of a Gogo tower in Alaska...

Discussion in 'Gogo Inflight Internet' started by Gogo, Jun 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    jackal and sobore like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grew up in South East AK, and this statement in the article a tad odd "Gogo, as a terrestrial-based network, currently has 106 towers around the US, including some so far away from civilization that they require survival skills and overnight trekking to reach." In my day they would use helicopters to get to the remote Alascom towers - primarily on top of mountains.

Are helicopters no longer used?

jackal likes this.
  3. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    I know that we have used them in the past for tower construction, but we have one tower in the Rockies that requires a trek to get to it -- though I'm not sure why the logistics don't allow for a chopper ride. I'll ask our tower team for some insights.

jackal and SC Flier like this.
  4. jclarkdc1

jclarkdc1 New Member

Status Points:
    GOGO, we would love to help build your towers and put up antennas. How do I get in touch with you for this? You can email me at: jeff at rx3communications dot com or call 775-853-5507

5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much would you charge to come over and knock the snow off my DirecTV dish? :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a thought: if you can't come up with a better way to contact GoGo to become a contractor/partner than this forum, I think your chances of getting a positive response are quite slim.

7. landon

landon New Member

Status Points:
    Out of curiosity - what kind of backhaul do you use for these ultra remote towers? What's the average backhaul speed across the 106 towers?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting question, landon (and welcome to MP!)

Another questions: as I understand it, a lot of cellphone towers are owned by companies like American Tower, and cellular carriers (presumably) lease space for their antennas. Does Gogo do the same?

9. billatq

billatq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks remarkably like any other cell tower that I've seen, which isn't surprising given that the technology is supposedly EV-DO Rev. A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogo_Inflight_Internet

I'm curious about the backhaul as well, given that there don't seem to be any huge microwave dishes on that tower.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another question: the article says GoGo has 106 towers in the US, six of which are in Alaska. That leaves us with 100 towers for the lower 48 states, or two per state. Obviously, they wouldn't be necessarily equally distributed, and they are presumably along major air traffic corridors, but it still seems like a rather small number. E.g., how many would cover the state of California? Or a large state like Montana that's for the most part fly-over territory?

iolaire likes this.