Phone, Tablet, Computer: When You Need Each One

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Sep 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/09/phone-tablet-computer-when-you-need-each-one/

We know it’s possible to be very productive with nothing except a smartphone, but for most business travellers, hitting the road is a multi-device experience, with phones, tablets and notebook PCs all playing a part. As our Business Travel Week coverage continues, we look at which scenarios make sense for which device.
    Picture by dorena-wm
    Given the size and weight of notebooks, phones and tablets these days, carrying all three in your hand luggage isn’t a massive burden, especially if you can share a charger between the phone and tablet. And while all three devices can perform similar functions, there’s no doubt that some suit particular tasks better than others. Here are some common scenarios and our recommendations.

Writing and creating stuff: computer While it is possible to do some kinds of work on either a tablet or a phone, for major-league productivity having a keyboard and a mouse still represents the best use of your time. Indeed, the main reason for not taking the computer on a trip will be if you’re confident you’ll never need to do this kind of work.

More ... at the link posted above.

mht_flyer, adl73x and Gargoyle like this.
  2. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taking pictures: digital camera. I have yet to see a phone that can take archive-quality pics while on vacation.

3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Navigation: Mobile Phone. You can get Google Maps on all three, and many tablets have a GPS, but most places I travel for work, ability to hold an umbrella at the same time as figuring out where you are and where you're going is vital.

Reading: A Kindle. With all the weight of these gadgets, carrying real books is right out. Battery life and eye strain mean an e-ink (non backlit) solution is a better option than a tablet, phone or PC.

sobore likes this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I travel with 4 though iPad, iPhone, bberry and MacBook pro and sometimes my elite book 2540 too :)