Phone recommendation for ~ 2 months and 9 countries in Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Italy98, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We will be traveling through Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Netherlands and Switzerland over ~ 2 months and will need a phone to use for EU and International calls. Has anyone had experience using a phone in multiple countries? Thanks.

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The time I did Germany, Netherland & Belgium I had a sim from Deutsche Telekom/T-mobile. It depends on which airport/country you arrive and what their roaming charges are. My roaming and call rates were horrendous.

3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a great article from the NY Times that evaluates the pros and cons of international long distance strategies. A lot of the conclusion you may reach relates to which carrier you have right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/t...f-travel-with-a-cellphone.html?ref=technology

I have used both local SIM cards as well as intl calling packages from my carrier, which happens to be AT&T. The local SIM cards are inexpensive for local calls, but take more work to set up. The intl calling package from AT&T is easy to set up, but can be more expensive. There are multi-country SIM cards like Tru-Phone, which in my experience tend to be pricier yet.

This is one of those situations where there is no one right answer; it depends on the type of calling you want to do, your current carrier, and the range of services you are seeking. After you read the article I think you'll at least be headed in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Italy98 likes this.
  4. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. :)

5. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The multi-country SIM sounds like a viable option as I would prefer not to have to purchase a new SIM for each country. Mahalo nui loa! :)

HiIslands likes this.